Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   2012 CRD Laredo Trade-in value in Oz (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/2012-crd-laredo-trade-in-value-in-oz-49175.html)

Douggie66 10-21-2012 07:48 PM

2012 CRD Laredo Trade-in value in Oz

Although I love my GC I do find it a pretty big car so I have been exploring my options of whether to downsize to something smaller. A few weeks ago I took the opportunity of test driving a CX-5 diesel which seems to be a pretty good car. I was reasonably impressed and I have to say the size seems a bit more suited to my mainly town driving. Left the dealer with them "running some numbers".

Two weeks later the dealer calls me with a trade in valuation for my GC. He apologised that it took so long but he wanted to explore all options and get me the best possible trade in price he could blah, blah, blah :rolleyes:.

Keeping in mind my GC is a 2012 build CRD Laredo, is just coming up to 6 months old next month and has done 5000kms........How much??? "The best I can possibly offer you is $32k!!!":wtf:

Comments anyone???

Oz_diesel 10-21-2012 08:32 PM

Re: 2012 CRD Laredo Trade-in value in Oz

Sell it privately, 32k is sheer lunacy and he'll just sell it on for about 16 -17k more!

Mendo 10-22-2012 02:34 PM

Go to the next Mazda dealership up or down the coast. With lowball offers like this these guys deserve the moniker "stealership".

That said I'd be surprised if you got anything more than $45k. They have to add GST when they sell it so if they bought it from you for $45k and sold it for $50k they've only made $500. So id be guessing $42-$43k. This also depends on how he has priced the cx5.

In any case I'd wait another couple of months until year end runouts when dealers might be more keen to make the deal.

ENFORCER 10-22-2012 05:25 PM

This is very typical. The used car market sucks, so the dealers are not really interested in tradeins.
That being said you would be able to sell your car easily due to the wait on the CRD.
I was looking at what my Overland was worth 2nd hand and they seem to be for sale in the low $70's.
This is great news as they seem to be holding their value due to demand.

Douggie66 10-22-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendo (Post 700763)
Go to the next Mazda dealership up or down the coast. With lowball offers like this these guys deserve the moniker "stealership".

That said I'd be surprised if you got anything more than $45k. They have to add GST when they sell it so if they bought it from you for $45k and sold it for $50k they've only made $500. So id be guessing $42-$43k. This also depends on how he has priced the cx5.

In any case I'd wait another couple of months until year end runouts when dealers might be more keen to make the deal.

Because the car is through my business it is sold with a tax invoice so the stealership still gets to claim the gst. As a trade I would have been happy with $45k but $32....c'mon!

Like you guys mentioned though I do not think I would have much trouble selling it privately due to the demand. I don't think the dealer would discount his CX5 by $20k which is basically what he is asking me to do....

fwdjeep 10-23-2012 04:31 AM

Just check out the cx5 diesel I hear they are hav issues with the motor making oil

Douggie66 10-23-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwdjeep (Post 701214)
Just check out the cx5 diesel I hear they are hav issues with the motor making oil

Yeah, I read about that. I think it is pretty isolated and not a concern if you keep an eye on your oil level. I have also read that even if the oil level does get high it shouldn't cause any problem, Mazda like most car makers are just being cautious. Oddly no other countries seem to be reporting problems.

I've decided I'm not jumping ship to Mazda just yet. For the price of the CX5 I'm going to also look into the Audi Q3 which is not that much more of a stretch.

fwdjeep 10-24-2012 05:08 AM

looked at the cx5 for the wife but went or he hyundai santa fee
no regreats great car

exlr8 11-03-2012 08:25 AM

I used a broker to purchase my Overland, the best move I ever made. He recommended I sell the old car privately. I sold the old car in 1 day for about 3 times the trade in value. It obviously wouldn't be that much more in your case, but you get the idea. Not to mention he got me an excellent price on the Jeep delivered to my door (on a carrier) with a full tank of diesel. Furthermore, as an RACQ member the broker cost me nothing. Happy with that!

savvas 11-08-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwdjeep (Post 701750)
looked at the cx5 for the wife but went or he hyundai santa fee
no regreats great car

A relative of ours in the past has had a Lexus LX570, and now a BMW X5 40d. They just bought their daughter a new Hyundai Accent and they love it over and above the BMW.

Hyundai has seriously lifted their game.