Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   2002 GC-LTD WJ general feedback (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/2002-gc-ltd-wj-general-feedback-49207.html)

3jeeps43 10-22-2012 12:02 PM

2002 GC-LTD WJ general feedback

Hi everyone. We've had this 2002 GC-LTD for about 5 years now. It has a total of 83k miles on it and is kept in beautiful condition. In that time, we've dealt with the bad window motors, complete replacement of the heat/air controller panel, brakes, rotors, master cylinder, crankshaft sensor < that one really burned me, because the car dropped dead while in the middle of a busy main road with no warning whatsoever. Each repair has been costly, and frankly, I'm at a crossroads as to continue fixing things or dump the vehicle. We've only put about 18k miles on it in the 5 yrs. since we bought it. Yesterday, the fan relay went out on it (turned off engine, fan kept running; pulled fuse to stop it). I've got a great mechanic, but I don't want to own cars I can't trust.
My question to y'all is: with all the problems that I'm reading in all these threads that everyone is experiencing, is this vehicle worth keeping and fixing ($$$$), or should I move on to something else? Or, is this just the nature of the beast, being a highly electronic vehicle. We also have 2 Wranglers (one a 2012, and the other a '99) and those 2 don't give us half the fits that the Cherokee does (of course the new YK is under warranty and too new to be trouble). Thanks for your opinions!

Frango100 10-22-2012 02:59 PM

Re: 2002 GC-LTD WJ general feedback

After all you have changed already, there is not that much anymore which can break:lol:.
I don't know, if you really like the jeep, i should say, keep it.
On the other hand, it is getting older and the changes that something breaks is getting bigger, but if you plan to buy something of a similar age, you could probably better keep the jeep.
I'm dealing with transmission problems, but this is more due to mechanics who don't know what they are doing.
In general i love the jeep, but sometimes its a love/hate relation:slapfight::lol:

suzieque 10-22-2012 04:37 PM

its odd how sometimes the vehicle you use/abuse the least has the most problems! And I agree electronics can be the worst, makes me worry about the longevity of my "loaded" WK!

In your case, sounds like a good "driving around town" vehicle and perhaps you can live with the odd issue, but if you want a reliable highway or expressway vehicle, I'd get rid of it. You don't want to be nervous about going for a drive.

TheStreet16 10-22-2012 07:11 PM

fan relay fix is an easy DIY.

it depends on its future use, if you plan on just keeping it for around town or short mile trips then why not. I could only see dumping it for a considerably newer car.