Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f200/)
-   -   WJ aftermarket NAV unit, has anybody ever bought this?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f200/wj-aftermarket-nav-unit-has-anybody-ever-bought-this-49215.html)

jeepmanjim 10-22-2012 03:26 PM

WJ aftermarket NAV unit, has anybody ever bought this??

If you have, please feel free to write a quick review. I'm trying to justify the expense. It's got Bluetooth and the ability to charge my phone top.

Car DVD Player GPS Navigation System for Jeep Grand Cherokee Liberty Wrangler | eBay

fester 11-04-2012 01:04 AM

Re: WJ aftermarket NAV unit, has anybody ever bought this??

I've been looking at these periodically and a few of the guys on our local forum have them in their WJ's and the version for (your WK). By all accounts they are not bad for the money being an all in one unit but they are no high end Alpine or Pioneer. I see though in the link to the one you mention that it has subwoofer connection. Interesting that the ones listed on Aussie ebay tend to start they do not have subwoofer connection yet this ones does. Also the Aussie listings all tend to note that they do not charge ipods. I would like it better if it had RCA speaker outputs as well.

TJXJWJ 11-05-2012 09:16 AM

That's pretty sweet! If you end up getting it, let us know!

Evan5469 11-06-2012 04:21 PM

That looks like the perfect solution without going with a double din. I really want to upgrade my stock head unit, but I really don't want to lose the steering wheel controls since I use those 99% of the time.

TJXJWJ 11-06-2012 08:42 PM

That looked like it retained the steering wheel controls...didn't it say that on the ad? I wish we knew if the navigation was useable while in-motion. To me, NAV is pretty much useless if it's locked out while the car is moving.

Evan5469 11-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 707867)
That looked like it retained the steering wheel controls...didn't it say that on the ad? I wish we knew if the navigation was useable while in-motion. To me, NAV is pretty much useless if it's locked out while the car is moving.

Yes, you do retain the steering wheels controls. I should've been more clear in my earlier post, that I wouldn't want to lose the steering wheel controls by upgrading to an aftermarket head unit such as Alpine or JVC. Also, I added a link to a VW board with a good review of one of these units.

GPS/DVD Head Unit Reveiw (#AS-W7 / #Tid 7501)

2000WJLover 11-30-2012 07:27 PM

Thanks for posting that ebay listing. I've been looking for more details on this HU and I've been debating whether to buy it. I'm going to hold off myself. The screens don't seem to have been given much attention, and especially the SDCard player looks very poor.

jeepmanjim 11-30-2012 10:06 PM

I appreciate your input. I ended up not buying it myself. I had to face the fact that my WJ is a beater. It looks great, excellent maintenance but its still 11 years old. It's just not worth the $$, just not. I want it to be but I'm saving for a lightly used WK2 Laredo X.

I appreciate the responses

Pugheaven 09-24-2013 11:04 AM

Seriously considering one, as I'm finding the lack of bluetooth my own music a pain. I've got a parrot system, but it's onluy linked to one speaker... just want to sort it with a new stereo..

Did anyone buy one in the end?

paul4314 09-24-2013 11:20 AM

Who wired your green tooth kit in u obviously have the new music kit and u should have a loom that plugs into your unit and this should make it use all speakers
My pals and auto electrition and I have seen him for at least 20 kits and has always used all the speakers in the car
He mainly fits the parrot kits
I have a Nokia kit in mine that came in it and that uses all speakers but can't use it for music

Pugheaven 09-24-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul4314 (Post 898600)
Who wired your green tooth kit in u obviously have the new music kit and u should have a loom that plugs into your unit and this should make it use all speakers
My pals and auto electrition and I have seen him for at least 20 kits and has always used all the speakers in the car
He mainly fits the parrot kits
I have a Nokia kit in mine that came in it and that uses all speakers but can't use it for music

Err, it was installed when I bought it... and it comes through the top right speaker which is fine for speaking on the phone etc, but makes a hash of when you want to use your phone for music into the main system... hence was looking at this kit and replace both head unit and sell Parrot.

jeepmanjim 09-24-2013 01:35 PM

I ended up buying an aftermarket Bluetooth kit through isimple solutions for a few extra bucks I added a mini USB cord to charge my phone. WORKS GREAT! They have a website, all the information needed. Install was super easy. Theory thing lost is the 10 disc cd changer functionality. Who uses CD's anyways? Ha!