Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Removing CHROME GRILL OVERLAY on 2012 WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/removing-chrome-grill-overlay-on-2012-wk2-49216.html)

lmo08 10-22-2012 03:27 PM

Removing CHROME GRILL OVERLAY on 2012 WK2

For those of you trying to remove the chrome overlay (plastic chrome) on the grill to REPAINT it, You DO NOT need to remove the whole front bumper and grill. There are 8 clips on the top of the plastic chrome overlay you release from the grill itself. (you must open your hood to access).
Once you have all 8 "popped out", you can pull from either corner of the chome overlay (start near the headlight and pull forward), and the intire piece will come off.
You DO need to pull pretty hard, but all 8 of the bottom clips will release without having to individually work on them. Just MAKE SURE all 8 top clips are disingaged prior to pulling and prying...

Let me know if you have any questions!! Good luck!

2012 Summit 10-22-2012 04:04 PM

Re: Removing CHROME GRILL OVERLAY on 2012 WK2

So what do you do under the hood, release the four top spring clips (and pull forward) to get at the chrome overlay tabs?

lmo08 10-22-2012 07:31 PM

You are correct. There is a black plastic covering you will need to unclip (4 total clips in order to pull the grill forward a bit to get your hand back there). It will be a tight squeeze, but use a flat head screw driver to pry the prongs holding the chorme overlay clips in place apart (hope that wasnt too confusing). What I did was using a paneling tool (you can buy one at any auto parts store for like $10) to pry the front on the chrome over lay away from the grill on the front on the grill (I used this toop to prevent scratching or dinging anything). Simultaniouly use the flat head screw driver on the back of the grill to release the overlay clips.

basically you need to pull the overlay away from the front of the rig as you relealse the clips. As you move on to the next clip you can place something in the space you create between the overlay and the grill so it doesnt clip back into place. (maybe a small piece of wood)

let me know if that works. one you get the top you can pull from the corner by the light and the whole bottom with come out.

good luck!

JMP8562 10-28-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmo08 (Post 700802)
For those of you trying to remove the chrome overlay (plastic chrome) on the grill to REPAINT it, You DO NOT need to remove the whole front bumper and grill. There are 8 clips on the top of the plastic chrome overlay you release from the grill itself. (you must open your hood to access).
Once you have all 8 "popped out", you can pull from either corner of the chome overlay (start near the headlight and pull forward), and the intire piece will come off.
You DO need to pull pretty hard, but all 8 of the bottom clips will release without having to individually work on them. Just MAKE SURE all 8 top clips are disingaged prior to pulling and prying...

Let me know if you have any questions!! Good luck!

Thanks this is a real time saver:thumbsup: Do you have a few Pictures that would be great:D

jgc4ever 10-28-2012 01:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics I saved from this forum:

JMP8562 10-28-2012 01:25 PM

Thanks, thats what i am looking to do (Black-out the grill)

Scottina06 10-28-2012 02:32 PM

That front painted/chromed portion just pops off in like 30 seconds