Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Side mirror blinkers? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/side-mirror-blinkers-49302.html)

LeCheese 10-24-2012 05:13 AM

Side mirror blinkers?

I noticed in the states limiteds and overlands have them (i think). Why dont we?!

Mendo 10-24-2012 05:34 AM

Re: Side mirror blinkers?

We have them on the front fender instead it's to do with Australian Design Rules.

ClarkeyWKCRD 10-24-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeCheese (Post 701758)
I noticed in the states limiteds and overlands have them (i think). Why dont we?!

I think for the amount of money they're charging for these vehicles over here, we should have them as standard. I mean I had them on my 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara and IMO were far more visible than having them mounted on the front fenders.

Matty470 10-24-2012 05:03 PM

I don't know why we don"t get them.
Plenty of other makes on the road here have them and not the front guards, including Australian built cars, like the Ford Territory.
It can't be a cost thing either because a separate panel stamping die for the hole for export only seems to be a greater cost than the assembly itself.

savvas 10-24-2012 10:10 PM

I think it might be because they are not visible from all angles on the side of the car. While they can be seen from the front, but might not be visible to someone that is alongside the car next to the rear quarter.

Our audi has blinkers in the mirror that sweep around the front and to the edge, but it also has a window that faces back so it can be seen along the whole side.

Just guessing here, but I reckon it's an ADR technicality.

yoda42 10-24-2012 11:20 PM

It's not ADR's, blinkers in the mirror assembly and not the fender are legal in Aus, but not in some parts of Europe , so it is just cost savings to do all export models the same, our market is not big enough to warrant the change even though our laws allow indicators in mirror's

LeCheese 10-25-2012 03:44 AM

thanks yoda for clearing that up. Still makes me sad though!
If we imported some from the states is the wiring in the vehicle already?

savvas 10-26-2012 06:36 AM

It wouldnt be EU laws, as a stack of european cars have blinkers in the mirrors. Check out bmw, merc, vw, audi, opel, skoda, etc. Though you're right that the european GC's also dont have the mirror blinkers.

It's a mystery.

Studgun 10-26-2012 07:18 AM

Most cars with mirror indicators project light to the front and side. I know a VW Jetta I once drove had forward facing LEDs but the lense wrapped around to the side and was constructed with channels which reflected the light out the sides and a little bit to the rear so you could see at the edge of the mirror that the indicator is on. Grand Cherokee ones don't appear to project enough light to the side and this could be the problem with EU and Oz. Side indicators aren't required in the States so it's not an issue there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeCheese 10-26-2012 10:33 PM

I'd say Studgun is right...
If you think about it all cars here, and im sure in europe, have the sort of 'wrap around' thing going on

Deserthucker 10-27-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeCheese (Post 702367)
If we imported some from the states is the wiring in the vehicle already?

Yes and no.
The wiring is most likely there.
But you are going from a LHD to a RHD the mirror glass is at different angles. There is not enough travel adjust to compensate for it.
I have tried!!!!!!

LeCheese 10-28-2012 12:05 AM

damn
oh well, you never know until you try haha