Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Rear fogs dont work, what to check? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rear-fogs-dont-work-what-to-check-49335.html)

Chrali 10-24-2012 04:24 PM

Rear fogs dont work, what to check?

During the recent foggy weather I realised that my rear fogs don't work, nor is the telltale lit on the dash.

The front fogs and telltale work correctly and yes i am operating the switch correctly.

Jeep swapped out the light stalk as my panel dimmer doesn't work, but the new one didn't work either so they put the old stalk back on. I wonder if they have to enable the rear fogs via software?

I assume that they worked at some point, as they should be checked on each annual MOT; its 6 years old.

Other than this there are no erratic interior, or exterior lights, dash gauges, etc.

I did swap the rear fog relay with the front fog relay with no change. I'd check the fuses but they're not numbered and I didn't have a fuse puller/pliers with me, so I will check but I bet they're all ok.

Couldn't find any similar threads on searching. I see various Front Control Module posts, but they come with lots of of problem, whereas mine seem very specific.

Any help very much appreciated, as Jeep are useless!

Zeus24v 10-25-2012 06:06 AM

Re: Rear fogs dont work, what to check?

Hi,

Did you check the bulbs ?

do you have 12V on the socket ?

RGLAX 10-25-2012 06:45 AM

Did you check the sockets themselves? Could be rusted/corroded causing them to fail

Chrali 07-05-2013 04:48 PM

Heres an update 8 months later, as my MOT (annual test) is due this month. My Jeep guy (not the main dealer this time) connected his Starscan to my Jeeps diag socket and was able to simulate the multi function switch and tell the rear fogs to turn on.
So he's going to replace the stalk, and we'll take see what happens then, but I aint holding out much hope. On the plus side he knows where to tap into the FCM/PCM to wire in a separate rear fog switch.

Chrali 07-05-2013 04:50 PM

Well my Jeep independant garage fitted the new stalk (multi function switch) and that did fix my dimmer and interior lights; which wierd coz either the Jeep main dealer said they'd done that and it didn't work, but still no rear fogs. To satisfy the MOT test requirement the garage jumped the terminals so the rear fogs come on with the front ones, so at least I won't feel in danger of being rear ended in winter now.

So the current suspect is the steering wheel module, as thats the only thing between the stalk and the pcm/fcm, but as thats megabucks and unless anything else goes wrong, I'm tempted to wait and/or get a 2nd hand one.