Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Rattles not covered by warranty (Aus)??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/rattles-not-covered-by-warranty-aus-49336.html)

Douggie66 10-24-2012 04:55 PM

Rattles not covered by warranty (Aus)???

My car has started to develop an annoying rattle. I dropped it off to my Jeep dealer last week to ask if they could fix it and the service guy told me that rattles aren't covered by warranty. They agreed to try to fix it out of good will and did manage to do a pretty good job.

Can anyone shed some light on whether the service guy B.S.ing me? Surely rattles in a new car are covered by warranty??

allypally 10-24-2012 05:37 PM

Re: Rattles not covered by warranty (Aus)???

Generally speaking, rattles are not covered by the 3 year warranty. However, I believe there is a period when they are. Check your manual, or build sheet. I think it is for 3 mths ior some other short period.
However, I believe that covers small rattles and squeeks that are generally found in the dash and panels. Most dealers will look at them as part of goodwill.
Thankfully, mine has no such issues, which is a blessing after coming out of a Ford Territory that had so many rattles, even the noisy exhaust would not mask.

Douggie66 10-24-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 702109)
Thankfully, mine has no such issues, which is a blessing after coming out of a Ford Territory that had so many rattles, even the noisy exhaust would not mask.

They must put in a bit of extra effort for the Overland :D.

yoda42 10-24-2012 11:30 PM

The rattles may not be covered by the 3year warrant technically, but they are covered by consumer law under what is reasonably acceptable
If you payed $2000 for a vehicle you might accept some rattles, pay $30,000 some minor rattles may be ok, but pay $55,000 plus and you can reasonably expect no rattles under normal driving
So he is just trying to make you think he is going out of his way to help you, so you will go away, when legally they have to fix the problem

exlr8 10-25-2012 07:34 AM

I know Mitsubishi fixed rattles in my brother's Pajero under warranty a few times, no questions asked. I would have thought they should be covered otherwise they are simply endorsing low build quality.
I'll be quite peeved if Jeep won't resolve any rattles on my $74K car in the first 3 years.

mm1964 10-25-2012 08:47 PM

I agree with yoda42 and exlr8

Last issue I had with the vehicle and I raised it to the FT before being prepared to take it to ACC - the FT employee replied "it didn't matter how much you paid $10k or 70K" - defects, faulty manufacturing or guaranteed are to be rectified as new under the warranty period.

Also, some rattles are the result of something loose or loosening that shouldn't be.

Swampy 10-25-2012 09:05 PM

We had a rattle in ours from new in the front doortrim. Dealer fixed it no probs and said that it was, as I suspected, a clip that was broken, likely when they did the window tinting. If they would have said No, I would have insisted as they did the window tinting.

Incidently, Jeep recommend that all plastic door trim clips are replaced after the door trim has been removed. Like THAT would ever happen.......

exlr8 11-07-2012 07:30 AM

Does anyone get excessive interior trim vibration from the bass out of the sound system? Mainly on the B pillar and door trims?
I know where this could lead but I don't think the bass is excessive. Even my 2006 Focus XR5 has way less (virtually no) trim vibration from a 600W sound system with 10" sub and the sub has been in there for at least 5 years.

Douggie66 11-07-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exlr8 (Post 708035)
Does anyone get excessive interior trim vibration from the bass out of the sound system? Mainly on the B pillar and door trims?
I know where this could lead but I don't think the bass is excessive. Even my 2006 Focus XR5 has way less (virtually no) trim vibration from a 600W sound system with 10" sub and the sub has been in there for at least 5 years.

Haven't had mine turned up that loud but it is the door trims on mine that rub when I go over rough roads. I think the noise is from the trims/plastics rubbing against each other.

exlr8 11-08-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douggie66 (Post 708267)
Haven't had mine turned up that loud but it is the door trims on mine that rattle when I go over rough roads. I think the noise is from the trims/plastics rubbing against each other. They are pretty cheaply put together when you look closely, especially the plastic guards around the metal frame under the back seat.

Maybe some Dynamat is the only way to get rid of it. Big job with electric everything in these things though :worried:

Mendo 11-08-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exlr8 (Post 708035)

600w?? Maybe it's your brain rattling inside your head...

exlr8 11-10-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendo (Post 708521)
600w?? Maybe it's your brain rattling inside your head...

Some may say :lol: but the XR5 is basically rattle free, head doesn't rattle there. A bit of Dynamat does help the cause though.