Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   recovery without tow hooks. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/recovery-without-tow-hooks-49366.html)

silencex 10-25-2012 11:08 AM

recovery without tow hooks.

had a question about recovery. got the overland, and i have no tow hooks in the front. so in a situation if i were to need help to get out where would i "clamp" onto in the front of the jeep? also in the rear, i have the hitch, but there are 2 rings right next to them. if i were to get pulled from the rear can i link up on those rings? or is that not advisable?

just for future info, i do plan on getting tow hooks, just not right now since money is tight.

JoeSchmoe007 10-25-2012 11:49 AM

Re: recovery without tow hooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silencex (Post 702511)
had a question about recovery. got the overland, and i have no tow hooks in the front. so in a situation if i were to need help to get out where would i "clamp" onto in the front of the jeep? also in the rear, i have the hitch, but there are 2 rings right next to them. if i were to get pulled from the rear can i link up on those rings? or is that not advisable?

just for future info, i do plan on getting tow hooks, just not right now since money is tight.

I don't think you can link up on those rings. You need a proper d-ring receiver hitch (like Rugged Ridge 11234.01 D-Ring Receiver Hitch for 2" Class III Universal Receiver : Amazon.com : Automotive) with a proper recovery strap. Ball mount cannot be used for recovery either.

mak90 10-25-2012 11:54 AM

Just like the person above has said. Your best bet for the rear would be getting the hitch with the shackle. I just bought one for 35 bucks. For the front you would either want the tow hooks or the comparable shackles.

Edit: And don't use the rings on the hitch for recovery. They weren't designed to be a recovery point and the same goes for the ball hitch. Using these can be dangerous.

silencex 10-25-2012 09:12 PM

ok cool thanks for the info. actually just saw that hitch hook a lil after i posted this. and i just wanted to make sure about those rings. didn't look like they were strong enough to handle anything. so i guess for the front end of the jeep it'd have to be tow hooks or bust huh?

JoeSchmoe007 10-25-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silencex (Post 702813)
ok cool thanks for the info. actually just saw that hitch hook a lil after i posted this. and i just wanted to make sure about those rings. didn't look like they were strong enough to handle anything. so i guess for the front end of the jeep it'd have to be tow hooks or bust huh?

I think there are some connecting points underneath that are used to secure vehicle when it is transported via ship/rail. I am not sure where they are and/or if they can be used for recovery. Your best bet for the front is tow hooks.

silencex 10-26-2012 08:16 AM

ok thanks alot for the info.

tnjeep 11-06-2012 07:13 AM

If your that concerned why don't you buy the hooks that go on the front? Easy install.