Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Jeep-made in china?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/jeep-made-in-china-49392.html)

dubwarren 10-25-2012 07:55 PM

Jeep-made in china??

http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-a...3#.UIl4z0bCz8B

Interesting article. Anyone else heard about this?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

bill_de 10-25-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Jeep-made in china??

It's been discussed. It's been corrected.

Jeep will build Jeeps in China for that part of the world.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-25-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 702775)
It's been discussed. It's been corrected.

Jeep will build Jeeps in China for that part of the world.

Yep, like they used to do there ten years ago and in austria a few years ago

neiltb 10-26-2012 07:41 AM

looks like a non partisan report going by the other articles available on the page!!

must be true

AAAA 10-26-2012 07:53 AM

When the article says build all models in China it does not mean excusively in China.

Yadkin 10-26-2012 09:07 AM

Along with windmills and GM cars, or anything else The Obama bets our money on.

dubwarren 10-26-2012 09:32 AM

I figured this had been covered. I rarely post anything of substance, and with this post, the steak continues.

Sorry for being redundant.

Stay safe east coast, we got a storm coming!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Switchback 10-26-2012 11:12 AM

I really think that is what is killing our exports. China making Jeeps just means they get more exports. Dont they already export enough?

the1jake 10-26-2012 12:07 PM

Localizing production is producing vehicles where the demand exists.

Here's a snippet from Toyota's website (for an example).

"...Toyota vehicles have found their way to over 170 countries and regions throughout the world. As their exports have continued to develop so has the localization of their production bases, in line with a policy of "producing vehicles where the demand exists". Now there are 51 bases in 26 different countries and regions...."

So... NO. This does NOT mean that Jeep is moving its Jeep manufacturing plants to China to produce vehicles for the USA. It means China will be producing Jeep vehicles for sale in.... (drumroll).... China.

FAUEE 10-26-2012 06:21 PM

China makes it nearly impossible for companies to export to them. They place huge tariffs on goods not produced there, so companies are essentially forced to manufacture there if they want to sell there.

Jeep isn't the only one doing this. GM, MB, Audi, etc. all manufacture cars there for the local markets.

The reality is free trade only works if everyone plays the same game. If someone cheats, the companies that want to survive have to operate with the same cost basis.

That said, there's nothing that you can really do about this either, short of starting a trade war. Putting tariffs on imported Chinese cars wont help because those cars are destined to be sold in those markets anyways. There's no ethical or legal way to fine companies for building goods in China, so the only thing you could do is essentially tariff all Chinese gods until they were noncompetitive, which would start a trade war and cause the price of goods in the US to skyrocket.

This is a very difficult situation with China to work with.

bill_de 10-26-2012 06:27 PM

If it didn't make sense to build a vehicle where it will be sold, why are so many foreign manufacturers building their cars in the US. I think they are providing a lot of jobs here. It works both ways. If I recall correctly, Toyota claims the Camry is the most American car being sold in the US.

4.7ho 10-26-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 703206)
If it didn't make sense to build a vehicle where it will be sold, why are so many foreign manufacturers building their cars in the US. I think they are providing a lot of jobs here. It works both ways. If I recall correctly, Toyota claims the Camry is the most American car being sold in the US.

Correct. The Camry is built by SIA (Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc.) in their Lafayette, Indiana plant and has been since 2007.