Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   having some issues - like to get some thoughts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/having-some-issues-like-to-get-some-thoughts-4945.html)

mikskillz 12-22-2009 11:08 AM

having some issues - like to get some thoughts

ok - i'll make this as short as i can.

went wheelin back in April - no problems. After i got home i noticed when i armed the alarm the sound was low and the rear lights did not flash. Been like that for a while - never got a chance to bring it in.

So this Saturday i was driving from NYC to Long Island in that insane snow storm and i got hung up on a huge snow bank getting on the LIE. I dropped into 4LO and managed to shimmy my way out.

Right after that my Malfunction Indicator Light went on and by the time i got home i was over heating.

My guess is i was overheating due to all the snow pack around the radiator not allowing air flow to the engine.

It has not over heated since BUT the light is still on and now the alarm barely makes any noise at all when i lock the doors and the remote start doesn't work.

I'm planning on calling my dealer today as i only have 29k on it so its all under warranty. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this issue.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

thanks

1 GRAND 12-22-2009 11:28 AM

Re: having some issues - like to get some thoughts

I am with you on the snow pack and overheating.

I would think you have moisture in your connections on everything else.

Unhook the battery for a few minutes to get rid of the light.

My old ZJs horn sounds like a power wheels horn on crack cocaine because I have had it in so much water and mud.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-22-2009 11:44 AM

don't know sounds like a bad battery to me

Matt 12-22-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 GRAND (Post 119838)
I am with you on the snow pack and overheating.

x2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 119840)
don't know sounds like a bad battery to me

x2.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-22-2009 11:52 AM

my wk had 40k on it when it did the same thing with the horn, swapped out the battery and it was fine, you can also try grinding the battery connections (polish) so it can have a better connection in harsh conditions those tips can have poor conduction due to the rust build up or any other crap that gets in there ... try that first and if it doesn't work then ...

that's outside my pay grade :)

saleen032 12-22-2009 12:57 PM

Take the horns out and drain the water out of them..I went through a big puddle and the same thing happened..After I got the water out, they were fine...

mikskillz 12-22-2009 06:54 PM

hmm - all makes sense - thanks

mikskillz 12-22-2009 07:12 PM

so now the remote starter is working but it is only staying running for like 15 seconds. I'll try some suggested things form here and see what happens