Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Cape York and Birdsville Tracks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/cape-york-and-birdsville-tracks-49454.html)

Hickers 10-27-2012 06:08 AM

Cape York and Birdsville Tracks

Hi
our 11000k adventure is over and today was spent emptying the gear out of the car and cleaning some of the dust and mud off. Or Jeep goes to the dealership on Monday to have the front strut replaced after we modified it on the Strelecki Track.

I hope you enjoy the photos and they motivate you to get your WK2 dirty.

Pictures by Hickers59 - Photobucket

cheers

COLCRD 10-27-2012 04:16 PM

Re: Cape York and Birdsville Tracks

Love your photos. I'm inspired

AAAA 10-28-2012 02:52 PM

Outstanding photos and comments. Thanks for posting.

Hickers 10-28-2012 08:55 PM

Thanks all, Been great to share and i look forward to seeing more GC's out there. Car is in the dealership now and all looks ok underneath other than the bent strut stirrup.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...psb14cb6eb.jpg

yoda42 10-28-2012 10:09 PM

A bit of wear on that CV shaft how deep is that groove ?

Hickers 10-28-2012 10:29 PM

Yoda, the "groove" is actually a section not polished by the strut mount!! thankfully the section where the strut contacts the shaft it is not sharp!! otherwise i might have needed a new axle!! it sounded a lot worse than it was when it first happened, i was expecting to see broken ball joints or suspension arms so quite relieved when i realised we could drive the car back down the track to Lyndhurst. by the time we got there the rough road had worn enough of the mount away we only scraped on bumps giving us enough confidence to drive straight home rather than having parts sent out to us and chancing a dodgy repair!

yoda42 10-29-2012 02:51 AM

That's a stroke of luck, at least it's just a new strut then, as you said could of been a lot worse
Have you tried to get the strut on warranty ? I know you hit a good hole but still would not expect the strut to bend like that
Remember don't ask don't get
Yoda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hickers 10-29-2012 04:15 AM

Oh yes, might be warranty because no impact damage noted during inspection, suggestion is stirrup already bending due to fatigue etc and susceptible to shock loads. Hope this is the case. If not probably less than $500 so I think that is a reasonable price to pay given what we have done this year. Many toyosan drivers have suffered much bigger bills from the PDR and strezlecki, oonadatta and birdsville tracks.

yoda42 10-29-2012 04:46 AM

I hope you do get it on warranty, although $500 isn't too bad for what it must of sounded at first, it's still pretty steep for one strut, what are the Dobinson front struts worth?

Hickers 10-29-2012 07:08 AM

The $500 includes my estimate for fitting at $250. i think the dobinson struts were around $350 a pair plus fitting. If i was sure they were stronger then perhaps it would be worth it but then no chance of Jeep picking up the bill! hard to know really, my damage could be a one off or it may be a weak point. The workshop foreman when queried re reinforcing the struts was of the view that better a bent strut mount than a broken wishbone! Where do you stop? i know i will drive a little slower in future on outback tracks, those softer sandy sections which feel so good compared to the stones are a trap for the uneducated!!

Anyway this will be small change i expect compared to the cost of the 40,000k service!!!

bit50 10-29-2012 08:43 PM

Awesome pictures! Looks like quite the adventure. Thanks for sharing!

Hickers 10-30-2012 02:34 AM

Thanks for that. picked her up today from Bayside Jeep in Frankston and all better, no charge, at this stage, for the strut replacement as the dealer has requested Jeep cover it as "goodwill" appears to be no fault with the strut its just bent as a result of impact! anyway it was great to drive home with the car level again and the scraping noises gone. A plus to to have new diff fluids after the multiple water crossings though they did say no sign of any water in the oil. So do we head back north and finish the last 1500k of our planned outback adventure? will my marriage take another dust storm!!! watch this space!!