Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   I'm gonna make SRT triangle Brackets (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/im-gonna-make-srt-triangle-brackets-49480.html)

bobharly 10-27-2012 10:40 PM

I'm gonna make SRT triangle Brackets

1 Attachment(s)
So I just got some srt rear links for free, but no triangle brackets. So I thought, why not make a triangle bracket? It's just a chunk of metal with three holes in it.

So I've got a drill press and drill bits for metal, all I really need to know is what kind of metal I should look for. I know that soft steel won't get the job done. Where should I look for my raw material and what should I be looking for?

Yes, I'm crazy, but those triangle brackets are just too expensive for a couple pieces of metal.

Gojeep 10-28-2012 03:16 AM

Re: I'm gonna make SRT triangle Brackets

Mild steel is fine for the job.

bobharly 10-28-2012 12:05 PM

Is that something I will find at lowes or home depot, I do I have to look around for it? I spent more time in wood shop than metal shop. So I don't know my metal grades that well...

robpp 10-28-2012 06:25 PM

I use onlinemetals.com. :lol:

But you could try a Fab shop or welding place....maybe a trailer place.

bobharly 10-29-2012 12:07 AM

Ok, so I checked out the website and read their product guides. I'm thinking cold rolled mild steel 1018, 2 pieces 1/8" thick, 4" x 12". I think it will work just fine. $11 in steel and an hour at dad's house digging out the drill press. It will be fun!

Edit: s/h adds $14 to the price... So that's $25.

bobharly 10-30-2012 10:29 PM

So I took robpp's advice and contacted a local Fabrication shop. So he wants to know how the big the holes have to be and how thick the metal is. I am assuming 1/8" pressed steel, but he was suggesting 3/16" or even 1/4" thick. As for the hole diameters, until I take stuff apart and measure, I have know idea.

Anyone know how thick the bracket is? And are the three holes the same size and diameter? What those diameters might be? And how much does the top mounting bolt offset from the lower bolt? I can see a bend in the bracket.

Thanks

therock2 10-31-2012 09:47 AM

You're doing this all because you got a free set of SRT links? I had to stop reading your post after you asked how thick the bracket is. For giggles I decided to keep reading the rest of your questions. All I can say is DON'T DO THIS. It is obvious by the questions you are asking that you are not qualified nor do you possess the skill sets required to recreate a major suspension component for a 5000 pound SUV.

bobharly 10-31-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therock2 (Post 705141)
You're doing this all because you got a free set of SRT links? I had to stop reading your post after you asked how thick the bracket is. For giggles I decided to keep reading the rest of your questions. All I can say is DON'T DO THIS. It is obvious by the questions you are asking that you are not qualified nor do you possess the skill sets required to recreate a major suspension component for a 5000 pound SUV.

Don't flame me. We all have to learn some where. Even if the only lesson I learn is that it isn't worth it, I have still had a personal experience that has enriched my life and knowledge. Let me enjoy my jeep.

05wkguy 10-31-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobharly (Post 705156)
Don't flame me. We all have to learn some where. Even if the only lesson I learn is that it isn't worth it, I have still had a personal experience that has enriched my life and knowledge. Let me enjoy my jeep.

wErd

I think the bigger question is: why did SRT do this in the first place? I'm not asking because i think they're a bad idea, but many of us (myself included) have swapped an srt-8 rear sway bar in place and reused the stock length sway links. I wonder what the reasoning was that they used the shorter links with brackets?

bill_de 10-31-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobharly (Post 705156)

+1

The fact that you are asking questions first, shows you are going about it the right way.

viking757 10-31-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 705394)
+1

The fact that you are asking questions first, shows you are going about it the right way.

x2

Tomorrow Ill measure the thickness of the triangle bracket for you

Gojeep 11-01-2012 02:00 AM

Anyone got a picture of these installed?