Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Engine block heater install, do it myself or dealer?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/engine-block-heater-install-do-it-myself-or-dealer-49501.html)

gc4x4 10-28-2012 01:01 PM

Engine block heater install, do it myself or dealer??

Now that winters coming and its getting colder in the mornings i just bought the mopar engine block heater since i have an outlet right outside my garage, i could plug it in at night and be ready to go with an already warmed up jeep, my question is how hard is the install? where does the heater go on the block? will i loose alot of coolant putting it in? sorry for the questions but im trying to avoid going to the dealer if i can help it. Thanks:thumbsup:

Raptor 10-28-2012 05:16 PM

Re: Engine block heater install, do it myself or dealer??

There will no coolant lose at all the Engine block heater installs into a recess in the block, they no longer heat the coolant in 2011+ WK2's. Install may be very tight though, might want to have a dealer do it!

Check it out;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overla...tml#post534802

xJoshxx 10-28-2012 05:48 PM

Have the Dealer do it that way it has a warranty.

Your parts your labor your warranty.

Part # is 82212440

Engine Block Heater

BobsWK2 10-28-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 703851)
Now that winters coming and its getting colder in the mornings i just bought the mopar engine block heater since i have an outlet right outside my garage, i could plug it in at night and be ready to go with an already warmed up jeep, my question is how hard is the install? where does the heater go on the block? will i loose alot of coolant putting it in? sorry for the questions but im trying to avoid going to the dealer if i can help it. Thanks:thumbsup:

If you are located in Arkansas like your description says, does it get that cold that you need it?

JTS97Z28 10-28-2012 06:37 PM

^^^ I was gonna say the same thing lol. An engine block heater in Arkansas??? I thought people only really needed those in Minnesota and the Dakotas and stuff. Don't need one here in Chicago, can't imagine needing one down south in Arkansas.

Milous 10-28-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 703851)
...my question is how hard is the install? where does the heater go on the block?

There is a link to download installation instructions here:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Cabin air filter

The 3.6L heater element is located on the driver side of the engine, towards the front. The install involves removing the serpentine belt, air cleaner assembly and A/C compressor. BTW, the 3.7L heater consumes around 450-watts of power so if you have it on 7-10 hrs/day it could start to add up if electrical costs in your area are high.

gc4x4 10-28-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 703963)
^^^ I was gonna say the same thing lol. An engine block heater in Arkansas??? I thought people only really needed those in Minnesota and the Dakotas and stuff. Don't need one here in Chicago, can't imagine needing one down south in Arkansas.

There is some mornings it gets pretty cold here in Ark in winter and i travel up north a bit too so its worth it to me to have just in case.:thumbsup:

AAAA 10-29-2012 08:48 AM

Save your money.

alpine24 10-29-2012 10:26 AM

Agreed. Seems like a waste for Arkansas. I live in Montana, but bought my Jeep in Colorado, and I was also wondering about getting the block heater installed. But it's not uncommon for it to get to -20 at night here.

Anyone have any idea what a dealer might charge to get this installed?

nek121328 10-29-2012 10:38 AM

I had mine installed at the factory. Haven't needed it yet in Northern New England. I'd plug it into a timer to minimize on time.

Todd3.6 11-22-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 703963)

We don't use them in Minnesota either! (Well, maybe up north in Ely.)
I've had carb'd vehicles that started in sub-zero weather, really don't see the need for a block heater in a fuel injected vehicle.

suzieque 11-22-2012 09:52 PM

an oil pan heater is a do it yourself project, should not void any warranty.
here is an example Wolverine Heaters - The Most Trusted Engine Oil Heater For Cold-Weather Starts