Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Not to start a flame war, but I have a V6 Charger as a Rental... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/not-to-start-a-flame-war-but-i-have-a-v6-charger-as-a-rental-49514.html)

FAUEE 10-28-2012 05:22 PM

Not to start a flame war, but I have a V6 Charger as a Rental...

And it's flat out trash.

The V6 people claim has enough power in the Jeep, is lacking in power to get this Charger out of its own way. And then there's the sound - it's very quiet, but the noises it does make suck, so it's not really a bad thing that it's quiet.

And the 8 speed transmission is flat out crap. It's CONSTANTLY shifting, and has no idea what the hell gear it wants to be in or should be in. It's literally the WORST transmission I've driven yet, I'd prefer a 4 speed automatic to this 8 speed.

Honestly, if the Jeep's version of the 8 speed is this bad, all the people waiting for it in the 2014 are going to be VERY disappointed. Makes me glad my Overland has the old 5/6 speed auto.

The best thing I can say about this car is it isn't an Impala.

padgett 10-28-2012 05:41 PM

Re: Not to start a flame war, but I have a V6 Charger as a Rental...

If the Charger V6 has a power problem that could certainly confuse the transmission. Of course I have a bad habit of travelling with an OBD2 dongle and a Tablet so can often tell what is going on (once a nerd...). Agree a rental is liable to start out confused but my experiece with the Pentastar has been a lot different: plenty of power and reliable (5-speed) shifting.

ps anyone who doesn't like the sound of a six has never heard a Corsa with trombones or a D-Jag with bananas.

FAUEE 10-28-2012 06:41 PM

I think the fact that it's a rental doesn't help it for sure.

It's not the sound of all V6s its this one in particular. Where something like the VW VR6 or Nissan's VQ sounds pleasant, this sounds cheap and thrashy.

Another interesting note, this car lacks enough power to spin the tires. Even in a turn. With TC off. Yep.

Scottina06 10-28-2012 06:56 PM

TOTALLY disagree! My wife has one as her company car and she brings it home ever so often. I drove it this evening. IMHO its as nice as any german, japanese or korean sedan in its price range! I am no fan of the LX cars at all...but Im not gonna be blinded just by looks etc. She really likes it.....excepts its RWD.

bill_de 10-28-2012 07:04 PM

When a thread starts with, "Not to start a flame war ... ", the OP is often disappointed when one doesn't flair up. :)

Seriously though, I wouldn't chose a rental car to form an opinion. Everyone before you may have also tried to beat the crap out of it.

Howhigh 10-28-2012 07:09 PM

Ive read many reviews just have not been fortunate enough to drive one but from what I read everyone loves the transmission and feels that it competes with the Germans, Japanese and Koreans best. Maybe it was because it was a rental car or that particular car had issues.

FAUEE 10-28-2012 08:15 PM

Dunno if its just due to it being a rental car, or it could be that the car mags are just used to transmissions that hunt for gears constantly and think that's "efficient".

One thing that I really don't get is the C Pillar. It's just... it doesn't flow with the car at all. It throws off an otherwise attractive design.

jp467 10-28-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 703916)
And it's flat out trash.

The V6 people claim has enough power in the Jeep, is lacking in power to get this Charger out of its own way. And then there's the sound - it's very quiet, but the noises it does make suck, so it's not really a bad thing that it's quiet.

And the 8 speed transmission is flat out crap. It's CONSTANTLY shifting, and has no idea what the hell gear it wants to be in or should be in. It's literally the WORST transmission I've driven yet, I'd prefer a 4 speed automatic to this 8 speed.

Honestly, if the Jeep's version of the 8 speed is this bad, all the people waiting for it in the 2014 are going to be VERY disappointed. Makes me glad my Overland has the old 5/6 speed auto.

Are you sure it has the 8 speed? I agree with the Impala comment that has to be the ugliest car on the road.

padgett 10-28-2012 09:40 PM

Engine does not care whose name is on the valve covers, can make a six sound sick or SICK just depends on the tune and the exhaust system.

Personally would love to have a Pentastar Crossfire with a six speed. My kind of car.

Still thinking the trans behaviour is likely the result of the engine issues.

Twilight_Imperium 10-28-2012 10:10 PM

Heck I based my purchase of a new 2012 GC off of a GC rental I had for 3 weeks. It was a 2011, had 25k miles on it and shifted smoothly, ran great. I figured if the GC could withstand the rental trials for 25,000 miles, it would last the long haul under my gentle driving habits.

jp467 10-28-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 703916)
And it's flat out trash.

When I first read this post I was a little surpised because all the reviews I have read about the 8 speed have been very positive. In fact I have never read anything negitive about it, But after reading some of your previous posts these comments make perfect sense. It seems to me you already had in your mind long before driving the 8 speed (If its really the 8 speed you are driving) that it wasn't really an improvement or you were hoping it wasn't. It seems to me that you are trying to convince yourself that the new 2014 won't really have any improvements and that it really isn't coming in January 2013. I'll just say that contrary to what you want to believe the 2014 is coming and it is going to have improvments and one the biggest ones is the world class 8 speed transmission. Its going to have the larger 8.4" screen a larger tft display in the cluster and many other small upgrades. The 2014 will be here early next year like it or not.

Doc_d 10-29-2012 06:17 AM

We all know the pentastar is a boat anchor but I'm surprised the eight speed wasn't impressive. I've heard nothing but great things about it from the people who have driven it.