Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What all do I need to add factory hitch? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-all-do-i-need-to-add-factory-hitch-49554.html)

Jdsmitty10 10-29-2012 10:08 AM

What all do I need to add factory hitch?

Long story short, I ordered my 12 limited V6 4x4 with no hitch because I had a truck with a hitch that i didn't plan on getting rid of.. Well I sold the truck and bought a sedan. Now I want to add the factory hitch to my jeep. I don't plan on towing often but do plan on a bike rack, cargo rack and the occasional use of a trailer...

What all do I need to order?
From what I read my jeep is pre-wired for a hitch.

Thanks!
Jon

Jdsmitty10 10-29-2012 01:20 PM

Re: What all do I need to add factory hitch?

Dealer just quoted me 240 for hitch, 100 is for wire harness then te rest is labor for a total of 560 ish...

gc4x4 10-29-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 (Post 704277)
Dealer just quoted me 240 for hitch, 100 is for wire harness then te rest is labor for a total of 560 ish...

Thats close to what i paid to have my hitch installed by my dealer, i wanted the mopar hitch and wiring harness rather than aftermarket.

Jdsmitty10 10-29-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 704285)
Thats close to what i paid to have my hitch installed by my dealer, i wanted the mopar hitch and wiring harness rather than aftermarket.

i am kicking myself for not ordering it on the jeep to get some of the other things that go with a tow package...like full size spare.. but oh well too late now...i made the mistake of getting the 730N nav which sucks and not getting a hitch...wish i did the opposite now..

Twilight_Imperium 10-29-2012 08:08 PM

I opted for the Mopar OEM hitch myself. They didn't have a Jeep with one from the factory local when I purchased mine so I had them install one on a Jeep they had on the lot. It looks great, like I ordered it from the factory!

Jdsmitty10 10-29-2012 08:38 PM

I got another price quote and it is sub 500 bucks around 470ish... im waiting on 2 more dealer quotes before I decide where I will get it installed.. YA Twilight, I definitely want the factory look!

fwdjeep 10-29-2012 09:04 PM

cheap
in Australia we pay for that some where$1500.00 fitted

Jeep_addicted 10-30-2012 10:09 AM

Rear valance for Tow package
Rear valance trim panel for tow package
Replacement bumper bar with Tow receiver.

JD your limited should already have the trailer harness ran all the way back to the bumper.

Look under the rear valance there should be a plug snapped into the valance support leg that bolt to the bumber rebar.

If you are up to it you can buy the the hitch rebar and install it yourself then all you have to do if find the plug t finish off the hitch.

You are also going to swap the rear valance and trim unless you are going to cut a hole in the valance you have now.

Doc_d 10-30-2012 12:04 PM

I purchased the hitch and wiring from chrysler for a liberty. It was cake to install. Chrysler did a great job designing it. So if labor is expensive consider throwing it on yourself.

Jdsmitty10 10-30-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 704658)
Rear valance for Tow package
Rear valance trim panel for tow package
Replacement bumper bar with Tow receiver.

JD your limited should already have the trailer harness ran all the way back to the bumper.

Look under the rear valance there should be a plug snapped into the valance support leg that bolt to the bumber rebar.

If you are up to it you can buy the the hitch rebar and install it yourself then all you have to do if find the plug t finish off the hitch.

You are also going to swap the rear valance and trim unless you are going to cut a hole in the valance you have now.

So your saying I wont need the harness? IS what is up under there already the trailer harness I would plug a trailer into? Or is the trailer harness plugged into that harness your talking about?

Jdsmitty10 10-31-2012 08:58 PM

I took a pic.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...22CF68551B.jpg

So if this is here I just need the hitch itself and the dealer to "activate" it right? No need for the $103 harness?

Jeep_addicted 11-02-2012 05:25 AM

I am not sure if the dealer needs to activate anything but that in photo is the trailer harness....

There is a finishing connector with a cover that would snap into the hitch and your existing harness would snap into that...

You need to find a dealership that is not trying to sell you stuff you don't need

The only Grand Cherokee s that don't have that harness are the base laredo and ladredo E....

From the Laredo X package up should already have the harness under the car.