Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Fumoto oil drain valve (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/fumoto-oil-drain-valve-49562.html)

Clark Kent 10-29-2012 11:32 AM

Fumoto oil drain valve

I'm going to install a fumoto oil drain valve on my 2008 GC 5.7 Hemi.

Will there be enough clearance for the unit with the nipple for the hose?

It part # F106N

I ask because I have not had the car up on my stands yet and looking under it I see a skid pan with holes in it. Does it have a hole for the drain plug and filter?

Can someone direct me to photos of the under side of the JGC with the 5.7?

Thanks, CK

PS: Sorry for the dumb questions.

ekaz 10-29-2012 11:35 AM

Re: Fumoto oil drain valve

Yes, I had one installed on my WK SRT and had no issues running that valve.

robpp 10-29-2012 01:28 PM

i had the valve with the nipple. worked fine. for extra protection i bought the STEEL front skid from the stealer for 50 bux. i used a short piece of hose on the nipple to keep the oil change neat. no oil on skid.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-29-2012 04:57 PM

I have one for a few years now

Crashtown 11-03-2012 11:19 AM

I have the OEM skids & the Fumoto valve with the nipple. It tucks in nicely, well above the skid. I access mime from the passenger side. The filter is mounted horizontally under the front of the engine on the passenger side. There should be a spill slide that you can aim a drain pan under for when the filter loosens up. I'm doing an oil change today, even.

lboggs24 11-05-2012 11:04 PM

The fumoto drain valves are great. No more oil spills. You dont even need an oil drain pan anymore. I just drain mine straight into the recycle container. Only downside is it takes quite a while to drain out, but it's well worth it.

Walt 11-10-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 704229)
I'm going to install a fumoto oil drain valve on my 2008 GC 5.7 Hemi. Will there be enough clearance for the unit with the nipple for the hose?..It part # F106N........I ask because I have not had the car up on my stands yet and looking under it I see a skid pan with holes in it. Does it have a hole for the drain plug and filter?....

Have had it on for several years now. No issues.

Changed oil this morning with same valve installed...it was simple. :)

Two recommendations:
1. Add a 6" piece of clear hose on the nipple with a spring hose clamp. You can watch the oil drain so you know when the sump is empty and it's easy to stick into a gallon jug. Afterwards, stick a golf tee in the end of the hose to keep dirt out when not in use. Tuck the hose in the splash pan when not using.
2. Buy a spring clamp for over the valve handle (prevents inadvertent opening). IIRC, it is a 5/8" spring clamp. Look at the Fumoto site for the right size. Only takes a second to install and remove........peace of mind is priceless. :D

Sorry. I don't know how to take & post pictures. There is an access opening in the splash pan. Once the valve is installed, no need to remove the splash pan to change oil.
Filter is outside of the splash pan area. Stick a small funnel from the end of the spillway to clear the hydraulic hose and into your drain pan. Makes less mess that way.

swing4terps 07-28-2014 08:54 AM

Question for those of you with the Fumoto....

I have the 4.7L and bought a F106N valve about a year ago. I don't offroad but wanted to be cautious and was waiting till I bought a steel skid plate to install the valve. Finally bought the plate and attempted to install this weekend.

When I went to install the Fumoto I could only turn it about one full turn before it was hand tight. There were still about a half inch of threads I would've had to try to tighten with a ratchet.

I can tighten the factory plug all the way in by hand, so naturally I was worried about stripping the threads with the Fumoto. Decided to just put the factory plug back on for this oil change.

Does anyone remember how far they could screw in the Fumoto when first installed? If it is the correct size, which everything I read says I bought the right one, I would think I should be able to tighten it all the way by hand like the factory plug.

jeepgcoman 07-28-2014 11:39 AM

Sounds like you either have the wrong valve, or there is a problem with the threads, either on the valve or in the oil pan, or maybe you're trying to cross thread it. It should easily go all the way in by hand.

Walt 08-17-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 704229)
I'm going to install a fumoto oil drain valve on my 2008 GC 5.7 Hemi.
Will there be enough clearance for the unit with the nipple for the hose?
It part # F106N

It will fit. I have an '08 also.

I have it on with an 6" long clear hose that tucks up under the splash pan. You can drain the 7 qts. of used oil directly into 2 milk jugs (gallon size). Easy to see when the oil is flowing and when the jug is almost full.

Also recommend installing the hose clip over the operating handle (see website for off-road applications).