Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Fiat may move Chrysler and jeep production to Italy

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dubwarren 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Again, this is just to complement US production, this does not mean that production in the US will be shut down in favor of Italy.

That's what these articles fail to mention.

As of right now, and with upcoming models, Chrysler's production capacity is severely strained.

Jefferson North Assembly: 3 crews
Windsor Assembly: 3 shifts
Belvidere Assembly: 3 crews
Warren Truck Assembly: 2 shifts, soon to be 3 crews.
Toledo Complex: 2 shifts, 10 hours, 6 days per week, Wrangler Side, Liberty side currently shut down for retooling, 2nd shift imminent.
Sterling Heights Assembly: 2 shifts, possible 3 crews in the future depending on future sales of their new car coming very, very soon.
Indiana Transmission/Casting: 3 crews (sorry I can't remember which is running what right now, but at least one of the plants is running like crazy)
Trenton Engine: 3 crews

You get where I'm going with this?

In order to keep production up with demand, Italy has to help.

#4 ·
I would like to see that news reported in a Car magazine instead of some opinionated blog. I do not think the writer is correct about Jeep production moving to Italy. Also, I would like to see the entire transcript of what the CEO said instead of just one or two lines which could be taken out of context.

US being the biggest market, it would not make any sense for Chrysler to build vehicles in a country outside and then ship them across the ocean. While companies like toyota and BMW are building in the US as it is cheaper for them to cater the local market, I highly doubt that Jeep will shut down its Toledo plant after putting a ton of $$ in its upgrading. Does not make any business sense.

Also , coming at the heels of the China production news, I am pretty sure the news of Jeep production moving to Italy is incorrect.

Cheers,
-S

#5 · (Edited)
Looking at the overall mix, FIAT (europe) lacks a "large" car in the Ford Mondeo (uk) class. Alpha 159/Dodge Dart is considered overweight like most American cars. At the same time they do not want our 4000+ lb behemouths over there, only a few can afford the fuel costs and taxes.

What they have is 500s and Pandas. Some with engines under 1 liter (twinair).

So what would make sense is to produce some of our platforms that might do well "over there". Think under 3700 lbs - Dart, Chrysler 200, Jeep Liberty/Patriot . Ones that are not selling well here might be candidates for import from Italy.

OTOH GALBs would not be candidates since major sales are in the US: Charger, 300, GC, Wrangler. Export the small numbers salable would make sense.

Some may be produced in both Europe and US - lighter smaller engines more with manual trans in EU, larger models with automatics standard here. A lot would depend on projected sales vs certification costs & mix in "family" certs then stir well. Am sure a computer could predice optimum mixes.

So if you look at it from a logical rather than all-or-nothing case it makes a lot of sense. Of course we always overreact to everything.

#6 ·
I think that the folks who write a lot of this stuff, do so to force the CEO to make a statement on a topic that isn't ready to be discussed. The article did say that the Italian government was going to give rebates to companies who export. Italy does need to bring revenue into the company.

So, it's possible they will build some vehicles for export. I for one, and I hope many others, would boycott the company if they moved any significant amount of production out of the U.S.

#7 · (Edited)
AUTO BAILOUT BOMBSHELL: Fiat Says Chrysler, Jeep Production May Move to Italy | National Legal and Policy Center

The article says fiat is considering moving jeep production to Italy for export to the U.S.

Incredible.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
"Mitt Romney has rightfully criticized the Obama Administration for handing over Chrysler to the Italians and now leaving the fate of American workers in the hands of Fiat management."

That's where I stopped reading because I knew the article was biased. What was the official comment from Chrysler to the China-claim? "A careful and unbiased reading of the Bloomberg take would have saved unnecessary fantasies and extravagant comments".:lol:

#8 · (Edited)
Here's your answer:

Chrysler Group LLC said:
Company statement regarding China production of Jeep® vehicles
OCTOBER 26, 2012, 3:51 PM • COMPANY, JEEP • RETIREE

In response to erroneous media reports that the Chrylser Group is considering relocating production of Jeep® brand vehicles from North America to China, Gualberto Ranieri, Senior Vice President―Communications) posted the following comment on the company’s media blog:

On Oct. 22, 2012, at 11:10 a.m. Eastern time, the Bloomberg News report “Fiat Says Jeep® Output May Return to China as Demand Rises” stated, “Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio.

“Manley (Michael Manley, President and CEO―Jeep brand) referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China.”

Despite clear and accurate reporting, the Bloomberg report has given rise to a number of stories making readers believe that Chrysler plans to shift all Jeep production to China from North America, and therefore idle assembly lines and U.S. work force.

To set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China. It’s simply reviewing the opportunities to return Jeep output to China for the world’s largest auto market. U.S. Jeep assembly lines will continue to stay in operation.

#9 ·
I read the "move" to Italy as a way to augment US Production (which is already at or near capacity) without building new plants by using available (under used) capacity in Europe.... Also there are probably tax advantages to building Eurospec vehicles in the EU same as adding capacity to China for sales in China.....

P.S. US capacity freed up by China and EU production will probably be absorbed rather quickly for the US Market IMO...

#13 ·
Technically it is shifting production to China. Obviously the same as it's made out to be but there was no production and there will be so they are shifting production to China.

#14 ·
There's no way they are moving Chrysler and Jeep to Italy. They only work 4, maybe 5 hour days there, and they all get 3 months off each year. I don't think all of Italy could produce enough Jeep Grand Cherokees alone! And the cost of production is and would become even more ridiculous. I import some from there now, and compared to american made quality, and consistency verses price, I'd take USA all day every day! It's less money and the same or better. I think us just talking about this possible move made Chrysler's, Dodges and Jeeps go up a 1%!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.