Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   VM deisel and LPG injection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/vm-deisel-and-lpg-injection-49579.html)

Dick 10-29-2012 04:57 PM

VM deisel and LPG injection

Hi All,
Donít know if anyone can enlighten me in relation to LPG injection with the Fiat diesel. They were reasonably common here in Australia with the Mercedes engine (Government rebate of $2000 helps). Jeep seemed very definite with a no for the new engine. Is the possible 20% extra torque too much for the engine (still the same gearbox)?

ClarkeyWKCRD 10-30-2012 05:03 AM

I thought LPG conversions could only be done on petrol engines.

John47 10-30-2012 05:38 AM

Re: VM deisel and LPG injection

In my experience the existing torque in the VM Motori diesel is heaps for normal use and towing my caravan of 4600lbs.
LPG injection is expensive and messy to fit and set up - I doubt if it could be sucessfully integrated into the engine management system on the WK2.
There are a number of electronic chips around that are plug and play and even better - easily removable, that offer similar performance improvements with none of the issues.

Dick 11-07-2012 06:22 PM

Hi,

The original reason I was interested in the LPG injection was more for the reduction in the cost of fuel. I had calculated on the distances we tend to cover with the government rebate I would have payed off the system in just over two years. Assuming the engine was using about 20% LPG at 85 cents / L. The other advantage to me was the increase in cruising range.
I read one of the threads on the chip conversions and I aggree it is a cheap solution if you are only after more power. But it also pointed out that the increase in power can trip the gearbox management system as well as taking the torque over the gearbox rating. I think I would wait for the 8 speed 1000 Nm gearbox before taking the risk.

Cheers,

Vinesh87 11-24-2012 12:21 AM

Interesting question, i would love to know the answer myself as i thought about it.

Chip Tuning 12-02-2012 01:13 AM

what sort of economy are you chasing?

Kreso 12-16-2012 10:28 AM

Check this link: Propane Injection Systems fuel savings in Diesel, Gasoline Turbocharged Engine Trucks - water vapor air fuel system separators

Chip Tuning 12-16-2012 05:42 PM

I knew Eco-Shot a long time back when we were competing for business. Its primitive. There is no tuning over RPM map or custom tuning via boost.

Seems like they haven't changed the system over 10 years.