Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Check engine light on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/check-engine-light-on-49580.html)

doak 10-29-2012 05:09 PM

Check engine light on

Hi Guys ,
My check engine light came on the other day, i thought it was time for
a new gas cap. When i lock my truck up the interior lights stay on for a
long time....i have checked all my auto light settings. Its a 2004 Grand
Cherokee Special Edition with 115K on it. THANKS

Frango100 10-29-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Check engine light on

I presume you had an error code for an EVAP leak? Did the gas cap solve the problem?
Regarding the interior lights, do they go out normally when you are inside the jeep? Is the instrument dim switch not in full bright position?
The BCM will switch the interior lights and there is a time delay of i donīt know how many minutes to switch them off, door open or not. Seems that this is switching off the lights now, instead of an all doors closed signal. Could be a limit switch in one of the door lock motors or one of the liftgate ajar switches.

doak 10-29-2012 05:43 PM

I havent tired gas cap yet. I was going to stop at auto zone they will check engine
light on for free. the light problem just started at the same time the engine light came on. Thanks

Frango100 10-29-2012 05:51 PM

Just do the key dance: ignition switch off-on 3 times and leave it in on at the third time. The odometer will show the error code(s). Let us know what it gives.

doak 10-29-2012 06:41 PM

P 0301 is what comes up.

Frango100 10-29-2012 09:05 PM

P0301 is a cylinder 1 misfire code. Did the engine run rough when the check engine light came on and how is it now? Did you wait to see if any other error code popped up. When all are shown, DONE should appear.
If running normal, you could errase the code by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and try again.
I donīt see any connection at this time however between the check engine light and the interior light problem. Did you check the dim switch?

doak 10-29-2012 09:18 PM

engine runs smooth....yes i saw the word done.......thanks for your help...

doak 10-29-2012 09:53 PM

i disconnected battery to get rid of check engine light. Seems to run ok.
Interior light problem is still there, but if i turn dimmer switch to off, i can solve
the problem that way for Now. Thanks

Frango100 10-30-2012 07:35 PM

Do the lights go out when you are in the jeep, or you still have to put the dim switch in full dim?
If the lights stay on when you are driving as well, then there is a change that you have a broken ground wire in the drivers door boot. But then normally also the power windows won't work.

doak 11-03-2012 05:09 PM

Yes the lights go off when i'am in the jeep, the interior lights just stay on when i
get out and lock all doors.

Frango100 11-03-2012 07:04 PM

So when you go out of the jeep, close all doors, but don't lock them, the lights will go out as well, or does it take a long time? When you go in the jeep, but don't put the key in the ignition, will the lights turn off soon?
Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but does your jeep have the factory alarm? If it does, will it arm with the remote?
Did you already try to lock the doors with the key, to see if that makes any difference?