Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Overland 5.7 feels very sluggish... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overland-5-7-feels-very-sluggish-49583.html)

James Cole 10-29-2012 06:15 PM

Overland 5.7 feels very sluggish...

Hello Guys...

Well I have a very odd problem that I have not encountered before... The jeep feels like is lacking a lot of power specially at low RPMīs mind you weather is not very hot (probably not a timing issue) and no lights on the dash...

What can it be... it just feels like a V6 now... (not to hurt any feelings)

Is there anyone who has had this issue and solved it ?

Let me know!
JC

guitartate 10-30-2012 08:33 AM

Re: Overland 5.7 feels very sluggish...

This may sound odd but I have experienced this and in my case it was where I fueled up...also are you using midgrade? I find that my mileage doesn't change at all with regular vs midgrade but i do notice a bit more mid range power when using midgrade... My .02. -Weston

James Cole 10-30-2012 10:13 AM

Well I dont think thats the problem... I believe that when you have bad fuel the
Symptoms appear at high engine load and rpm... Here is the contrary the jeep feels
Very slow on the low rpms almost like if the computer is neglecting torque there for some reason...

HYTEK 10-30-2012 10:32 AM

Have you been driving very conservatively lately? The ECU may have adapted to that. Might help to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU.

James Cole 10-30-2012 12:44 PM

Not that conservately... the jeep feels VERY VERY slow of the line...

I also noticed when I started it today a bunch of smoke from the exhaust that dissipated right away...

It was very dark I couldnt make out the color of the smoke but it did have a burning smell to it...

JC

Edit: The smoke thing was NOT on an incline I am aware that some of our jeeps might smoke when parked for some time on an incline...

rpoverland 10-30-2012 09:00 PM

Not only on incline, it happens on level roads too.

jgc4ever 11-01-2012 08:13 PM

My dealer did some computer updates to my '12 WK2 Hemi trying to fix the loud noice when shifting from Drive to Neutral. I supplied them with the TSB for fixing that but they wanted to computer update instead. Not happy about that, but that's not why I'm writing in this thread. The Jeep seems more sluggish now. Does anyone know if getting computer updates means the shift points got reset to factory specs? Does it have to re-learn my driving style?

Fredg369 11-01-2012 11:08 PM

I noticed the same thing in my 3.6L.
I'm thinking its the change over from summer gas to winter gas from the gas stations.

ColdCase 11-01-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Cole (Post 704661)
Well I dont think thats the problem... I believe that when you have bad fuel the Symptoms appear at high engine load and rpm... Here is the contrary the jeep feels Very slow on the low rpms almost like if the computer is neglecting torque there for some reason...

Ethanol does not have as much energy as gas, and you feel that as a loss of power mostly at low and mid range. You may be getting a lot of ethanol or fueled up at a spot that does not move much fuel. Ethanol likes to attract water which compounds the effect. There was a recent survey that showed that the oil companies are not controlling ethanol content that accurately. Discussion comes up often on those vintage vehicle forums where plastic fuel tanks are used. Ethanol in high enough concentration can soften and ruin plastic tank or tank liners.

As far as timing, the ECU senses a pre-detonation condition and pulls a lot of timing for several seconds. Poor quality or low octane fuel can cause this, which results in sluggish performance.

Lots of "smoke" could be lots of water vapor, which can be caused by moist fuel or more ethanol than the fuel should have. Its normal for the V8 to have some water vapor out the exhaust when warming up and accelerating.

Not saying that's your issue, but you can get poor or sluggish performance due to the fuel.

ColdCase 11-01-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 705778)
My dealer did some computer updates to my '12 WK2 Hemi trying to fix the loud noice when shifting from Drive to Neutral. I supplied them with the TSB for fixing that but they wanted to computer update instead. Not happy about that, but that's not why I'm writing in this thread. The Jeep seems more sluggish now. Does anyone know if getting computer updates means the shift points got reset to factory specs? Does it have to re-learn my driving style?

A reflash returns the ECU parameters to factory defaults. It will need to relearn and will over time.

ColdCase 11-01-2012 11:40 PM

Oh there are several here not happy with the V8 when you tramp on the throttle, part throttle seems to work better. There seems to be way too much delay between slamming the throttle and things start happening.

Has your V8 always been sluggish, or have you just noticed it?

James Cole 11-02-2012 02:36 AM

I just noticed it... It used to pull harder at low rpms... No it seem like its cutting power on pourpose on the down low...