Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   dashboard rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/dashboard-rattle-49611.html)

WallyF 10-30-2012 11:41 AM

dashboard rattle

Hello everyone,
Just purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland and love it except for rattles in the dashboard (passenger side and center). Can anyone let us know your experiences have been with eliminating this problem?
Thanks WallyF

eibyer 10-30-2012 12:28 PM

Re: dashboard rattle

Search for issues regarding the glove compartment, it may be related.

KEITHMO 10-30-2012 04:37 PM

I had a bad dash rattle on my 2012 3.0L CRD. Dealer spent a long time on it. turned out to be a fuel line union fouling on one of the gearbox mountings under the car. Could have sworn the rattle was coming from dash centre. fixed six months ago, no problems since. Hope this helps

WallyF 10-30-2012 04:46 PM

Thanks a million. I hadn't thought of this possibility but will pass it along to the dealership. Past experiences with rattles, etc. remind me of how noises can and often do travel from weird places... Again thanks for the info.

John47 10-30-2012 05:08 PM

I had a rattle with our RHD export CRD that turned out to be the windscreen vent in the far top corner of the dash LH side. It would disappear when the passenger put a hand on top of the clipped in plastic - lifted it a bit and stuck some double side sticky tape under and reseated. Fixed it.

I didn't have a go at it until after I reported it to the dealer (plus my thoughts on what it might be), the tech checked and reported that the aircon pipes inside the firewall in the engine compartment were touching and making the noise. Showed .45 hour on the service docket to diagnose and adjust (under warranty).
Needless to say the noise didn't disappear or change.
I think you are right to do some homework yourself.

Good luck
John

Justal13 10-30-2012 07:52 PM

I thought I had a rattle coming from the middle of the dash, and it was actually the cover on the back of the rear-view mirror loose. I would have sworn it was coming from the dash. Snapped the cover on tight and the rattle never returned.

bmwbobt 03-19-2013 06:54 PM

I also have a 2011 Grand Cherokee with a rattle in the right dash. Dealer does not want to address the problem. I've looked everywhere and cannot locate the source of the noise. I love the vehicle but I will get rid of it if the problem is not solved

Trevorj 03-20-2013 08:42 AM

I had the same problem and found it to be the glasses in the holder

Roger Ramjet 03-20-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwbobt (Post 783721)
I also have a 2011 Grand Cherokee with a rattle in the right dash. Dealer does not want to address the problem. I've looked everywhere and cannot locate the source of the noise. I love the vehicle but I will get rid of it if the problem is not solved

Open the glove compartment and see if the rattle goes away. Mine would rattle unless the glove box was open. The dealer found that the (two part) glove box was not assembled correctly nor were the moving parts lubed (as required). It has not rattled since.