Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Random dead battery? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/random-dead-battery-49616.html)

foster 10-30-2012 01:34 PM

Random dead battery?

2011 Laredo-X, V-8, two-wheel drive, approx. 17k+ miles.

Sorry, this is long since I typed out everything that happened.

Short version:

My Jeep had a dead battery (for no reason) and so far all the service department has done is charge it back to full. They're going to give it a day and retest. If nothing comes back faulty they're going to give it back to me without having replaced anything. I'm concerned about this.

Full version:

I've only had two incidents with my Jeep before this. Once, about a month ago the Jeep turned over, but wouldn't start. I cycled it through with the push button start with my foot off of the brake. The second time I tried starting it it fired right up.

The second problem was with the A/C recirculation and the radio. I'm in Texas so I usually run the A/C set to absolute cold with the recirculation button always pressed. When I start the vehicle up for the first time or again after it's sat for longer than 20 minutes the recirculation button is not lit. About a week or two ago it started staying lit all the time. Even after sitting overnight it would light right up when I started the vehicle. Around the same time the radio would repeatedly play the same songs over and over from the harddrive even though I use the random track function. One time I even switched over to the radio only to have it go right back to the HD and the same songs when I started the vehicle the next day. Now that it's gotten colder I have stopped using the A/C and the recirculation function so I don't know if that's still an "issue" or even related to the battery problem. I ended up deleting the playlist (which deleted all of the songs on the HD) and I haven't gotten around to putting music back on the HD yet. I don't know if any of this is related to the battery issue, but I'm documenting it.

So the vehicle drove fine on Saturday, but sat in the garage all day Sunday. When I went to drive it on Monday it was dead. I had to use the "manual" key to open the door. No interior lights or dash lights. All I had was a solid red light (dot) in the tachometer area.

At first I thought maybe the battery in key fob was dead so I tried the spare, but that didn't make a difference.

Next I popped out the push button start plug and tried starting the vehicle with the key fob. That didn't do anything (wouldn't even crank) and now the key fob is locked into the ignition and won't come out.

I called the dealership I bought the Jeep from and spoke to the service department. They suggested locking and unlocking the doors using the actual key. They said sometimes cycling through that would reset things, but in this case nothing. They gave me the number to roadside assistance and said to call for a tow.

I explained the situation to roadside assistance and asked them to send a tow truck and that I would be riding with the driver to the dealership. Instead they sent me a guy in a pick-up truck with a portable battery jumper box. He tries to jump it, but gets nowhere. He says he can't do anything else and that I need to call roadside assistance again. I call them back and this time they say they'll send a tow truck.

While I wait for the tow I surf the forum on my iPad looking for similar posts. I found a couple that looked like the same problem, but no one had ever posted a follow-up about what the dealership fixed or any kind of resolution. I did find one post where it was suggested to pull out fuse M27, so I tried that. No difference.

Tow truck arrives and he gets the Jeep out of the garage without issue. We get to the dealer and I explain everything I've already tried and hand over the spare key fob. The main fob is still locked in the ignition.

I pick-up a rental car and head to work.

I call the service department towards the end of the day to see if there's an update. So far all they've found is a completely drained battery. They're going to hook it up to a charger and test it in the morning.

Fast forward to today (the next day). I get a call from the service department and the battery is now fully charged. They've run the Jeep through every test and it's come back with zero problems. There's no draw on the battery when the vehicle is off and they can't find anything malfunctioning. They want to keep the Jeep overnight and test it again in the morning. If they still can't find anything wrong they're going to give it back to me.

This is where I'm concerned. How is it possible that this was some random act? I'm the only one who drives my Jeep. No door was left open, the headlights weren't left on, nothing like that. I even set the alarm. The last thing I want to have is to be stranded somewhere with a dead Jeep. The dealership says there's nothing they can do if the tests all come back negative. I ask if they've seen this problem before and the service guy says it's rare, but he has. I ask if they did the exact same thing (charge up the battery, don't replace anything and just give the Jeep back to the owner with no problem) and he says yes.

Five minutes after I get off the phone with the service department and the Jeep customer service department calls me from Michigan. I explain to the customer service rep my apprehension to just take my Jeep back if nothing's been replaced. She says she understands, but every test has been run and it comes back with no problems. She just keeps repeating that I should work with the service department and the dealership to address my concerns. What kind of answer is that?

Has anyone had a problem like this with their Jeep? What did the service department do? Did it work?

Justal13 10-30-2012 02:37 PM

Re: Random dead battery?

Several TSB's for 2011 GC's related to "dead" or undercharging battery:

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0801510.pdf

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0802310a.pdf (supercedes older version specifically listing "battery no crank")

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0801011.pdf

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0802411a.pdf (intermittent no start)

Here is the listing all all 2011-13 GC TSB's for future reference:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Grand Cherokee Service Bulletins and Recalls

foster 10-30-2012 03:01 PM

Thanks, Justal13. I had already looked for TSB's and I didnt think any of those applied to my situation, but I will confirm with the service tech that they checked on them.

foster 10-30-2012 04:55 PM

Just confirmed with the service department that all applicable TSB's have already been done on my Jeep.

It's still testing out OK, but they're keeping it overnight for another round of tests in the morning.

I'll update as I get more info.

John47 10-30-2012 05:30 PM

It is likely unrelated, but there was an issue with the early Export CRD vehicles that came to Australia where some (not all), experienced random flat battery issues.
Apparently it was eventually tracked to the radio (its the RB2 model) waking up from sleep when shut down and draining the battery. New radio software sorted it.
My point in posting is that your problem sounds similar and may be software related.

Justal13 10-30-2012 07:56 PM

There was also an issue with early build 2011 GC's getting defective batteries due to the new design battery used in the 2011 GC. This was never recorded as a TSB, but if you search the forums you should find several threads on that. Batteries were replaced in those cases.

foster 10-31-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 704869)
It is likely unrelated, but there was an issue with the early Export CRD vehicles that came to Australia where some (not all), experienced random flat battery issues.
Apparently it was eventually tracked to the radio (its the RB2 model) waking up from sleep when shut down and draining the battery. New radio software sorted it.
My point in posting is that your problem sounds similar and may be software related.

Thanks for bringing this up, but my RBZ radio does have the latest software update so I don;t know if there's anymore they can do.

foster 10-31-2012 01:35 PM

Well I have a bit of an update.

The dealer wanted to give the vehicle back to me last night after the last round of tests. 3:00p.m. was the cut-off for my rental care, so I was already paying for another day. I told the dealer to keep the Jeep and test it again in the morning (today). The service tech agreed and said I should expect a call around 9:00a.m. that everything was fine and to come pick it up.

By 11:30 I had not received a call and figured they must have run into a problem. I called them around 12:30 and sure enough the battery was dead again when they went to check it this morning.

So good news is they admit there's a problem that needs fixing. I'm afraid the bad news will probably be they don't know what's causing the problem and will need to just throw parts at it until it's fixed.

foster 10-31-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 704934)
There was also an issue with early build 2011 GC's getting defective batteries due to the new design battery used in the 2011 GC. This was never recorded as a TSB, but if you search the forums you should find several threads on that. Batteries were replaced in those cases.

Thanks. I'm sure if they can't pinpoint the issue this is the first thing they'll try.

foster 11-01-2012 12:21 PM

I have an update.

The battery finally failed it's test and they replaced it. There was also an update for the PCM software, so they applied that as well.

I have the Jeep back and hopefully it's fixed.

eastmentwk2 11-02-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foster (Post 705605)
I have an update.

The battery finally failed it's test and they replaced it. There was also an update for the PCM software, so they applied that as well.

I have the Jeep back and hopefully it's fixed.

Any issues to date? Just curious....

Djv1389 11-03-2012 01:47 AM

sorry to hear about your bAttery. Was there any warning lights or a message in the evic saying your battery was low or voltage was low.i have been seriously looking into a gauge for this reason. I seen a video on you tube where a individual removed the serpentine belt started the car and no warning lights at all or a message. Last weekend while at the dealer I asked them about this problem and they said there was a gauge in the evic screen I said please show me and then after not finding it I get a line of what I thought was bs they said you will get a message saying you have low voltage and to check your battery or have it replaced.good luck