Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   intake vs stock, 4.7 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/intake-vs-stock-4-7-a-49621.html)

paroxysym 10-30-2012 02:43 PM

intake vs stock, 4.7

so im considering ditching the AFE stage II, and going back to my stock airbox with the k&n drop in. i originally dropped the stock airbox to go with the fastman throttle body i had installed. my mileage lately has gone down and im looking to take her back to stock- minus the exhaust, tuner and possibly the fastman throttle body.

after reading how the hemi guys gained their low end torque back with the factory airbox, im wondering if the same is true for the 4.7. any guys have any feedback on this? im more than happy getting rid of the AFE, at the time i got a great deal on it anyway.

thoughts?

DannyVtCa 10-30-2012 04:45 PM

Re: intake vs stock, 4.7

It's worth a shot, let us know how it goes

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-30-2012 09:57 PM

i went back to stock a few months ago and you certainly gain low end torque that you lost with the AFE. i put the AFE back on and i am really considering ditching it completely

paroxysym 10-31-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 704995)
i went back to stock a few months ago and you certainly gain low end torque that you lost with the AFE. i put the AFE back on and i am really considering ditching it completely

sounds cool but thats about it... my biggest thing is how much does it benefit the fastman throttle body? i mean its slightly larger than stock, but the stock intake pushes as much air as much as air possible already correct?

Scottina06 10-31-2012 06:45 AM

you guys got some sensitive butt dynos.....LOL

paroxysym 10-31-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 705090)
you guys got some sensitive butt dynos.....LOL

Thanks scott!

but seriously- whats your opinion on this?

Kman09JGC 11-06-2012 09:39 PM

Im very happy with my K&N CAI on my 09 4.7. It sounds better and pulls better of the line IMO. I want to get superchip tuner and a Fastman TB next.

tfranzone 11-08-2012 02:01 PM

So, you got about 1.5-2mpg gain from the AFE stage 2... but then AFTER installing the ported TB.. you lost the mpg due to the increased throttle response??

so wouldnt it be suffice to say taking off the AFE CAI and continuing to use the ported TB will lower your mpg even more than stock?? I'm a little confused...

paroxysym 11-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 708652)
So, you got about 1.5-2mpg gain from the AFE stage 2... but then AFTER installing the ported TB.. you lost the mpg due to the increased throttle response??

so wouldnt it be suffice to say taking off the AFE CAI and continuing to use the ported TB will lower your mpg even more than stock?? I'm a little confused...

lol ok... i had the throttle body and stock air box before i bought the intake. i threw the intake on, gained alittle sound (i swear my exhaust seemed louder with the intake), nice whoosh sound at idle, gained probably 2mpg driving in the city/stop and go traffic, and my top end pulls harder than it does with the stock airbox.