Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Failed Lifetime Powertrain Inspection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/failed-lifetime-powertrain-inspection-49661.html)

Pac Man 10-31-2012 12:28 PM

Failed Lifetime Powertrain Inspection

So does anyone know what's required to pass? No one told me why I failed but I found this note at the bottom of my invoice: "Fails power train inspection due to oversize wheels and tires, front tow package, lift kit, and customer has stated has removable aftermarket power train control module chip".

Lol

Has anyone else failed? I'm assuming I can pass if I put it back to stock?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-31-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Failed Lifetime Powertrain Inspection

well obviously the dealer is going to fail you for all of that stuff. any of those parts can damage powertrain components so why would the dealer want to be liable for that? i am pretty sure there is no way to pass now and that your warranty is void.

tfranzone 10-31-2012 12:52 PM

I have a lift and oversize tires on my WK.. and i just passed inspection here in Scranton.. maybe dont go to a dealer for an inspection?..if you did so.

Pac Man 10-31-2012 01:18 PM

Yeah I went to a dealer. Any repair shop can complete this?

Milous 10-31-2012 01:26 PM

In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-31-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 705203)
I have a lift and oversize tires on my WK.. and i just passed inspection here in Scranton.. maybe dont go to a dealer for an inspection?..if you did so.

i think he is talking about his powertrain warranty inspection, not state inspection

tfranzone 10-31-2012 01:46 PM

you're right Sven, my bad..i jumped the gun:guns: :whistle: thanks for keeping me on my toes. lol

Pac Man 10-31-2012 02:08 PM

The form is pretty vague but it seems as they are supposed to fail you if you have an aftermarket part that has screwed up your powertrain in some way. Mine is in perfect operating condition.

From the bottom of the power train inspection sheet-

"EXCLUSIONS- as stated in your warranty information book- Your warranties do not cover the cost of repairing damage or conditions caused by- The cost of repairing damage caused by any part that was not in your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle"

Has anyone else failed?

Link to power train inspection form:

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime powertrain warranty

dr.lee.baugh 11-01-2012 10:51 AM

It's not that there is anything wrong with your powertrain NOW, but rather IF anything happens to your powertrain in the future the dealership will not fix it under warranty.

In order to keep the lifetime warranty valid, the vehicle has to be kept stock. Yours is not stock. In the dealership's eyes you no longer have a powertrain warranty.

One final thing, by signing the form with a failed inspection, I believe you are tacitly acknowledging that you will no longer be covered under the powertrain warranty (which would certainly come up in any sort of arbitration related to warranty work being denied)...

Putting it back to stock will not make any difference now - the warranty has been voided.

Pac Man 11-01-2012 02:19 PM

Hmm... Well I didn't sign anything. I paid and left.

I just fail to see where it said anything in the owners manual or in any documentation available to me that I needed to keep it completely stock for the warranty to continue to be valid.

Oh well... At least it's knowledge for everyone else.

lboggs24 11-01-2012 06:25 PM

Maybe it's just me.... but I think it's common sense that the warranty would be voided if you add aftermarket items that in ANY way affect your powertrain. They shouldn't have to specifically state that.

The Warranty basically guarantees that it will last IF you do the scheduled checkups/maintenance and IF you leave it the way they designed it. Adding aftermarket parts throws in variables that they can't be expected to account for and warranty.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-01-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lboggs24 (Post 705740)
Maybe it's just me.... but I think it's common sense that the warranty would be voided if you add aftermarket items that in ANY way affect your powertrain. They shouldn't have to specifically state that.

The Warranty basically guarantees that it will last IF you do the scheduled checkups/maintenance and IF you leave it the way they designed it. Adding aftermarket parts throws in variables that they can't be expected to account for and warranty.

exactly! plus it was pretty stupid for the OP to tell them he has a tuner, you should always set it back to stock prior to going for service