Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fumoto-f-106n-engine-oil-drain-valve-49662.html)

armoredsaint 10-31-2012 12:45 PM

Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve

Anyone install this on your 5.7L Hemi? You thoughts and opinions?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...cL._SS400_.jpg

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-31-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 705200)
Anyone install this on your 5.7L Hemi? You thoughts and opinions?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...cL._SS400_.jpg

i dont have a hemi, but i have one on my WK for about 3 years now and i love it.

BuckeyeSRT 10-31-2012 01:00 PM

I had one on my Magnum R/T (Hemi). I also have one on my wife's Honda minivan. I will probably get one on my WK2 as well. If you do order one look into a discount code. I have ordered 3 now and each time I have received a discount (when I ask).

armoredsaint 10-31-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 705211)
I had one on my Magnum R/T (Hemi). I also have one on my wife's Honda minivan. I will probably get one on my WK2 as well. If you do order one look into a discount code. I have ordered 3 now and each time I have received a discount (when I ask).

i was going to order it from amazon.com since i have free 2-day shipping and no tax, but if they're cheaper factory direct i may try that.

FAUEE 10-31-2012 06:48 PM

I have one on my old Saturn. Makes doing oil changes super easy and very clean.

jeelo 10-31-2012 07:46 PM

Have one on my Jeep Patriot. Makes oil changes a breeze

77rednecktruck 11-01-2012 09:38 AM

you don't worry about it opening up when offroading? Never tried one but it looks like a great idea.

jeelo 11-01-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 705560)
you don't worry about it opening up when offroading? Never tried one but it looks like a great idea.

I don't since I don't offroad.
Fumoto offers a version that contains a springloaded clip to prevent it from opening up. Not sure if it works well.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

brandont 11-01-2012 06:40 PM

I appear to be the only dissenting voice so far, but I will add that I had one on a previous vehicle and did not care for it. When I added the valve it made the oil shoot out like a firehose and would hit other parts in the undercarriage. I know you can put a hose on it to direct the flow but then the hose drips and has to drain out.... Personally I prefer to just deal with the bolt. Pull it, drain, put it back, wipe clean.

kbre 04-23-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 705751)
I appear to be the only dissenting voice so far, but I will add that I had one on a previous vehicle and did not care for it. When I added the valve it made the oil shoot out like a firehose and would hit other parts in the undercarriage. I know you can put a hose on it to direct the flow but then the hose drips and has to drain out.... Personally I prefer to just deal with the bolt. Pull it, drain, put it back, wipe clean.

Hmm, I use a Fumoto so that I DON'T get oil all over everything. Just open the valve slowly and you can control the flow very easily. My other vehicle (SRT-10 Ram) holds 9 quarts and the plug is at the back of the pan. Before the Fumoto I had to be very careful where I had the drain pan since 9 quarts comes out pretty fast. And the vehicle I traded in on the Jeep (08 Dakota) had a crossmember that was in the worst possible spot. Had to use a piece of cardboard as a guide to the pan each time or deal with a huge mess.
The Fumoto is a great item. Now I just save a couple old gallon milk jugs (can't see the level when I use oil jugs) and changing oil is so simple.
I highly recommend it for the DIY'ers.

jbjones85 04-23-2013 01:47 PM

I've put them on my last 3 vehicles and they are great. A must have for any DIY'er IMHO.

wantit 04-24-2013 08:04 AM

A horror story about these. Many years ago, I owned a Mack tractor with a 500 hp v-8, and installed one of these to "make oil changes easier." In the dead of winter the temp was in the single digits, and 2am in the morning going down the highway a piece of ice, or some road debris "kicked up" and broke the valve clean off! lost all 58 quarts of oil. engine shutdown system did it's job, but I just about froze to death waiting for a friend to come to my rescue! If you do a lot of off roading, this could be an issue.