Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Coolant Tank Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/coolant-tank-problems-49672.html)

Jeep-Life 10-31-2012 07:17 PM

Coolant Tank Problems

Alright my jeep friends can someone help me with this? As you know I have an v8 wj. My problem is that my coolant goes low too often. I can fill up the coolant reservoir today and about 2 weeks to 3 weeks from now the coolant alert inside the cabin will go off, staying that I need to add more coolant. I took the jeep to my local shop they did the pressure test but couldn't find anything. So first thing he told me was to change the cap on the radiator because there could possibly be a gap and not properly sealing, so i did that and still the same problem. He stated that if it does it again it could also be an internal problem which really couldn't be fixed!!! Can anyone help me with this. Also before I purchased the car the guy I bought it from replaced the radiator..

CheapshotLou 10-31-2012 07:51 PM

Re: Coolant Tank Problems

Is there any white smoke? if so it is definitely internal.

Jeep-Life 10-31-2012 08:14 PM

No white smoke that I know of!

bill_de 10-31-2012 08:17 PM

Any water getting into your oil?

Also, does the radiator itself ever get low, or only the overflow tank?

Jeep-Life 10-31-2012 08:20 PM

I don't think water is getting into my oil. And just the overflow tank just gets low

bill_de 10-31-2012 08:29 PM

It's possible you have a slow leak in the plastic tank or the hose connecting it to the radiator. I would pull the tank and look for any staining around it.

Jeep-Life 10-31-2012 08:41 PM

Thanks I'll check that out this weekend

Madanio24 10-31-2012 09:01 PM

Check of there is a small hole or crank in the rad tank. In my friends Malibu I just fixed he was loosing coolant and couldn't figure out what it was. It ran fine oil was fine and eventually I found a small pin hole on the rad tank. When the coolant expanded it would leak out, got some job weld and problem solved!

Frango100 10-31-2012 09:18 PM

Eventhough it could be the overflow tank itself, its more likely that you have a small leak in the pressurized part of the coolant system. Did you already check under the passengers side floor mat if its all dry overthere (heater core leak)?
A small leak can be hard to find. The coolant can evaporate when its on a hot surface and you won´t see any liquid, maybe only a colored spot. Best is to do a pressure test on the coolant system, so that you maybe can find the place where it is leaking.

bill_de 10-31-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 705405)
Eventhough it could be the overflow tank itself, its more likely that you have a small leak in the pressurized part of the coolant system. Did you already check under the passengers side floor mat if its all dry overthere (heater core leak)?
A small leak can be hard to find. The coolant can evaporate when its on a hot surface and you won´t see any liquid, maybe only a colored spot. Best is to do a pressure test on the coolant system, so that you maybe can find the place where it is leaking.

That was my first thought, except the OP said;

"I took the jeep to my local shop they did the pressure test but couldn't find anything."

Of course his shop could have missed something.

WJeeper 11-01-2012 08:10 AM

I had a similar prob, although with the 4.0. No visible leaks but the coolant level would go down almost weekly. Ended up being a cracked head. Once it got really bad i could see the coolant forming sludge on the oil cap, although that wasn't the case at first. if ur lucky it may only be a head gasket. Good luck

Jeep-Life 11-02-2012 11:11 AM

Was it an expensive fix for the cracked head repair?