Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   More Tire Blues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/more-tire-blues-49690.html)

Overlander70 11-01-2012 10:45 AM

More Tire Blues
 
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your previous responses for tire selection on 275/55/20's.

I may just want to stick with the OEM 20" size of 265/50/20's. I do a lot of highway trips along with minor off roading to a rural shooting range, unpaved fishing ramp/launch sites, and construction sites.

The 265/50/20 selection on tire rack and other places seems quite poor. any suggestions for a good all season / mid duty off road tire?

Thank You All Again!

DurangoZJ 11-01-2012 12:51 PM

Nitto Terra Grapplers are an option.

kkreit01 11-01-2012 12:54 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Toyo Open Country HT seems to get nice reviews. You can find them at Treaddepot. Want something aggressive, Nitto Terra Grappler AT from DTD. There's a few options available for pure street use, but I wouldn't put them on a Jeep that ever leaves the pavement.

DirtyDuc83 11-01-2012 01:36 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
I'm not sure why you would stick with the smaller tire size or have the blues about it. Any of your original choices in your other thread have been run on the OEM 20s w/ QL without any problems. You just need to pick a tire whether it be based off of reviews, price etc...If you check my thread about off-roading on 20's you'll see quite a few posts of people running that tire size off road with great results.

Overlander70 11-01-2012 01:45 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Thank You for your reply,

The Toyos look good for highway all season. Water does not appear to be able to escape the sides and maybe too mild for trail?

Are the Terra Grapplers load on the road?

They look like they would be good in snow, rock, dirt, etc. and probably slightly more quiet than the Cooper Zeon.

Do you have the Terra Grapplers?

DurangoZJ 11-01-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander70 (Post 705635)
Thank You for your reply,

The Toyos look good for highway all season. Water does not appear to be able to escape the sides and maybe too mild for trail?

Are the Terra Grapplers load on the road?

They look like they would be good in snow, rock, dirt, etc. and probably slightly more quiet than the Cooper Zeon.

Do you have the Terra Grapplers?

I ordered the Grapplers yesterday. I should have them on sometime next week. Reviews I have read is that they are relatively quiet on the highway with good wet and dry performance.

ColdCase 11-01-2012 02:48 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDuc83 (Post 705622)
I'm not sure why you would stick with the smaller tire size or have the blues about it.

The only reason, perhaps not a good one, is that jeep has denied WK2 warranty claims and used oversized tires as a convenient excuse. Often dealers will note in your VIN record that oversized tires are installed. Whether you believe oversized tires can add driveline stress or not, technically it seems to be a valid excuse.

Overlander70 11-01-2012 04:02 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
DirtyDuck,

My only hesitation is the 50 profile increase to 55's at the 20" size and the speedo issues. I realize more sidewall gives it a better ride especially off road. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Again!

DirtyDuc83 11-01-2012 06:51 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 705664)
The only reason, perhaps not a good one, is that jeep has denied WK2 warranty claims and used oversized tires as a convenient excuse. Often dealers will note in your VIN record that oversized tires are installed. Whether you believe oversized tires can add driveline stress or not, technically it seems to be a valid excuse.

Yah, this is the only reason I can think of but dont consider it a very good one. Coming from BMWs and tuning, I've modified suspension and wheels with no detriment to the warranty and no denied claims. Havent had any issues with my dealership yet and they'll be fixing my tranny clunk when the parts arrive.

It would be hard for a dealership/chrysler to prove that the larger diameter was the cause of something else failing. Depends of course on what failed but I cant think of too many things it would effect.

Srt8_hmi 11-01-2012 07:35 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander70 (Post 705685)
DirtyDuck,

My only hesitation is the 50 profile increase to 55's at the 20" size and the speedo issues. I realize more sidewall gives it a better ride especially off road. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Again!

I'm running 285/50/20 Yokohama Parada Spec X's and couldnt be happier. Wasn't a big fan of rhe ride comfort of the Nitto Grapplers. I'm right at 3/4" taller than the OEM diameter. That's not quite 2.5% different than stock. So at 70mph I'm actually doing closer to 68mph. Bigger tires fill up the wheels wells nicely and I like the added width for ride comfort.

Overlander70 11-01-2012 08:08 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
Srt8_hmi,

Don't larger tires make you go faster then the speedo says?

-Thank you

Srt8_hmi 11-01-2012 08:34 PM

Re: More Tire Blues
 
[QUOTE=Overlander70;705776]Srt8_hmi,

Don't larger tires make you go faster then the speedo says?

Changes in Tire Size

When factory-calibrated tires are replaced with larger tires and rims, a car's transmission will continue to run at the same speed. Larger wheels will make fewer rotations than smaller tires. This means, as the transmission continues to clock a specific speed, larger tires will actually cause the car to move more slowly than the speedometer reads. Depending on the increase in tire size, a car will usually travel about 5 to 15 percent slower. The opposite effect is realized when smaller tires are installed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community