Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Battery indicator, no power, ZERO (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/battery-indicator-no-power-zero-49715.html)

subbie09 11-01-2012 05:42 PM

Battery indicator, no power, ZERO

HISTORY: 2012 WK2 Altitude, 3300 miles, 5 months old, Installed HIDs from the vendor on here from day 1

Today, driving home from school, the battery indicator light came on red. Pulled it into my garage, shut the WK2 off. Came back out 5 minutes later, no power, ZERO. No dome light, no dash, nothing. Tested battery with a tester, 13 volts. Undid the grounds to the HID ballasts let it sit, nothing, still no power. Re-connected the grounds, waited a few minutes, opened the door, power again. Started, took for a drive, got 2 blocks away and as driving the entire vehicle shuts down again as I am driving. Coast it to the side of the road, place in park. Flat bed comes, guy connects battery pack to positive terminal in engine bay to get the thing into neutral, and power comes back. Got into netural and onto flat bed, took to dealership, still power parked it and left it.

Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong? I wired the HIds as I did and was recommended to, positive to battery terminal in engine bay and negatives to bolts with metal to metal contact. I do not think the HIDs are causing this as they have been working perfect for 5 straight months. Something is wrong with the system.

Anyone have any clue before I go down in the morning to talk to the service manager?

yoda42 11-01-2012 05:52 PM

There was a thread I think on this forum, with similar problem, he found the jump start terminals Under the hood were loose and were causing power lose when vehicle was moving but it was intermittent

subbie09 11-01-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Battery indicator, no power, ZERO

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 705723)
There was a thread I think on this forum, with similar problem, he found the jump start terminals Nader the hood were loose and were causing power lose when vehicle was moving but it was intermittent

Checked any terminal I had previously loosened for the HIDs and they are all on solid as a rock.

This is the first time this happened.

To recap: Driving home battery indicator on still had full power. Shut it down, lost all power. Played with all terminals and tightened, power came back. Went for a drive around my block, lost power as driving. Guy came with flat bed, hooked the battery pack, power back. Now at dealership.

DirtyDuc83 11-26-2012 11:10 PM

This just happened to me about 15 minutes ago! I was about 4 blocks from my place when the battery light came on. When I was just about to take the last turn in to my condo, the car just died. Waiting for a tow truck now...

Have you gotten any resolution yet?

padgett 11-26-2012 11:18 PM

Look first at the last thing you messed with before it went bonkers. Then where the battery and alternator power are going through the same cable, most likely a ground, possibly at the starter or from block to chassis.This sounds like an open connection and not a bad battery.

"On last turn" - a very slow corner ? When the speed drops low enough for the DFCO to cut out and the revs drop to idle, just the alternator may not be enough to keep everything going if the battery drops out.

DirtyDuc83 11-27-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 715782)
Look first at the last thing you messed with before it went bonkers. Then where the battery and alternator power are going through the same cable, most likely a ground, possibly at the starter or from block to chassis.This sounds like an open connection and not a bad battery.

"On last turn" - a very slow corner ? When the speed drops low enough for the DFCO to cut out and the revs drop to idle, just the alternator may not be enough to keep everything going if the battery drops out.

Haven't messed with anything last, but it was in to have the Remote Start Climate Control TSB a few weeks ago...I had it towed to the dealership, the tow truck came much faster than I was expecting and didn't spend anytime poking around while the car was sitting in the turn lane.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and something was/is just loose. I did a search and it seems a few others have ran in to this issue but no clear resolution.

The last turn was a slow corner and I tired not to slow too much but it was a red light right turn so I had to slow a bit...tried not to bring it to a complete stop.

Will update when I hear what the cause is.

DirtyDuc83 11-28-2012 11:01 PM

Loose alternator cable/clip was the issue. Battery was all fine after being charged. Hopefully their diagnosis is accurate and this doesnt happen again. Also had the tranny clunk tsb and defroster grate deforming fixed also.

subbie09 11-29-2012 11:20 AM

Sorry I have been away from the computer. Final weeks of a graduate degree and working overtime and christmas shopping is nutz....

I did find the problem. The positive leads on the jumper terminal from the battery harness for the HIDs were bad and causing arching. Every time it arched, it got shut down. So I cut the leads off and soldered on new insulated leads. This was about 4 weeks ago, haven't had a problem since.

Scottina06 11-29-2012 11:37 AM

cool......my wifes durango was dead one moring and I found a ground loose from the engine to the chassis....just under the pcm on the fender well. 0 problems since.