Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Steering wheel radio controls stuck? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/steering-wheel-radio-controls-stuck-4977.html)

05quadratrac 12-24-2009 04:50 PM

Steering wheel radio controls stuck?

Has anyone had any of their steering wheel mounted radio controls get stuck? My volume is jammed so when I turn up the volume it turns it back down, Can I pop it off or are they held on by something? Im afraid to break it.

Scottina06 12-24-2009 04:52 PM

Re: Steering wheel radio controls stuck?

you will have to remove the airbag to fix them. The controls can be purchased seperately.

05quadratrac 12-24-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 120774)
you will have to remove the airbag to fix them. The controls can be purchased seperately.

Thanks, that sucks. I guess i'll just have to use the radio mounted controls.

Scottina06 12-24-2009 05:14 PM

the airbag is gravy to get off....just two screws or clips depending on year.....

05quadratrac 12-24-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 120785)
the airbag is gravy to get off....just two screws or clips depending on year.....

Oh ok thats not bad, i have an 05' i thought there was a lot more to it.

Scottina06 12-24-2009 05:28 PM

nope.....jsut make sure all the power is discharged from the system and remove it......I switched my entire steering wheel and airbag to the SRT/commander wheel and bag and it took like 5 minutes

05quadratrac 12-24-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 120793)
nope.....jsut make sure all the power is discharged from the system and remove it......I switched my entire steering wheel and airbag to the SRT/commander wheel and bag and it took like 5 minutes

Wow, maybe I should find an SRT wheel then. To discharge the power do you just unhook the battery? I was afraid of taking an airbag to the face.

Scottina06 12-24-2009 05:33 PM

yep...I disconnected the negative from the battery, pumped the brakes, got all my stuff together and switched them in 5 minutes. It took longer to screw in the steering wheel puller than it took to do anything else....LOL.

05quadratrac 12-24-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 120797)
yep...I disconnected the negative from the battery, pumped the brakes, got all my stuff together and switched them in 5 minutes. It took longer to screw in the steering wheel puller than it took to do anything else....LOL.

haha i guess its worth fixing then, thanks.

Scottina06 12-24-2009 05:38 PM

I thought I had an extra set of controls for ya........but i looked and I think i gave them to someone else.....sorry

RyanB 12-24-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 120772)
Has anyone had any of their steering wheel mounted radio controls get stuck? My volume is jammed so when I turn up the volume it turns it back down, Can I pop it off or are they held on by something? Im afraid to break it.

I actually just replaced the left steering wheel radio controls last week. I bought from ____ (see below). The middle button got stuck and it was activating the bluetooth and changing the stations. VERY ANNOYING! Shipping was kinda expensive but they sent it overnight. If its the same problem that I had, you can use a blade (i.e. utility knife or flat head screw driver ) to pop the assembly out. It held by two clips along the straight side. PM me if you need help.

PS: I didn't do anything with the airbag, in any case it worked.

Hopefully this works.

Hey Scott,
long time no talk to, hope that all is well! :)

https://www.jeepoemparts.com/oem-jeep-parts.html

Scottina06 12-24-2009 06:20 PM

great to see ya on Ryan! I hope all is well with you as well!!!