Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   $300 Gift Card for alarm/remote start. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/300-gift-card-for-alarm-remote-start-4981.html)

TimmyB 12-24-2009 06:15 PM

$300 Gift Card for alarm/remote start.

WOW, I just opened a gift a girl got me and its for $300 to a local "automotive toy store". I mentioned awhile back i wanted remote start and this girl actually got me this. In the card it has brocures for viper and avital starters. What should I get with the $300, is that enough for both alarm and remote starter? Im like a little kid right now,

Chaoul1 12-24-2009 06:19 PM

Re: $300 Gift Card for alarm/remote start.

Doesn't it cost a little extra to get a starter? You should get both!

TimmyB 12-24-2009 06:25 PM

Thats why im asking. I told her i wanted remote start, and just opened the card because i couldnt wait till tomorrow and see its for $300. Both brochures have remote start with security features, or just an alarm, or just remote start. There are no prices in them. I dont know prices with install so thats why im asking whats good to get, and typical going prices. Right now I dont have an alarm in my car, its a basic WK laredo.

TimmyB 12-25-2009 05:49 PM

I think I might go with Avital, they say its made by DEI which I heard is good. They have OEM security upgrades and OEM add on remote start, both saying they work with the factory remote which is what I want. Just basic security and remote start with just my stock key fob thing. I dont want another remote or remotes to carry around with me.

B.P.O.D 01-14-2010 05:17 PM

what did you get? and how much?

TimmyB 01-14-2010 05:45 PM

I havent gone yet. Im sure the shop is going to rip me off on install. From what she tells me when she went in and bought it that $300 will cover a basic remote start w/install. I dont have an alarm in my WK so i want to stretch the money, i've been searching for install tips to do one myself. I want an all in one system, alarm with remote start. If I do install a system myself i will do a thread on it, im sure it is going to be complicated.

Motteler621 01-14-2010 10:30 PM

well a install of an alarm is about 3 hours for someone who knows what they are doing. i dont see how it can be that hard though if you have instructions. I mean all it is are some wires, and you might have to bypass something.

TimmyB 01-14-2010 11:11 PM

Eh, from what im learning online one needs a voltmeter, which I have, to find all the cars wires needed to splice into. It is going to take along time if i do it myself, trying to find all the correct wires. Im confident I can do it and do it right, thats why im just going to buy an all in one alarm/remote start from that shop and do it myself now. Just the cold weather and not having a garage sux. Plus im waiting to go there cuz im sure they marked everything up around christmas, knowing people buy gifts and gift certificates. I bet if I went in there and showed them the gift certificate they would tell me I could only have a cheap remote start installed for that, since they already have the money basically, where as not telling them I have it they would prob give me a better price wanting my business.

NHWK05 01-15-2010 09:24 PM

Local to me i was quoted $325 for just a remote start kit. the alarm was almost $450 and thats almost the same price for most shops.

Motteler621 01-15-2010 11:01 PM

Wouldnt you be able to get a list of which color wire is which from calling jeeps technical department, or are they not color coded?

Motteler621 01-15-2010 11:32 PM

btw, whats up with some girl just giving you a 300 dollar gift for christmas? are you related to her or dating her?? lol, thats not normal

TimmyB 01-15-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 133220)
Wouldnt you be able to get a list of which color wire is which from calling jeeps technical department, or are they not color coded?

I have a link to a Mopar site that tells all the colored wires. Its just there is so many things i have to look into. Like the wiring for the door locks, wiring for the interior lights, then running wires thru the firewall to the battery. I know i have to do this and am well aware of it, its just not going to be quick. I think this is why when i wrote this thread no one really answered it, because no one has really taken the time to do it themselves. Guess i will be the first.