Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid 3.6L (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/power-steering-fluid-3-6l-49816.html)

Lazzman 11-03-2012 04:25 PM

Power Steering Fluid 3.6L

I have a 2011 GK Laredo pkg with the 3.6, V6 motor.

Recently I noticed that the power steering fluid was very low, about 1/4" below the Low mark on the fluid Resevoir.

I don't know whether I have the Electric power steering or standard serpentine belt driven power steering.

My GK was manufactured in August 2010 and the steering fluid in the resevoir is clearish yellow in color.

Thought it was the standard belt driven pump so I purchased the Mopar +4 fluid which is red in color like transmission fluid. Clearly this is not the fuild in my power steering system.

Anyone know what kind of power steering fluid I need for my application?

I also noticed that when I took the cap of the Steering fluid resevoir, it was under a bit of pressure and air rushed out. Kind of doesn't seem normal to me? There should not be any air in my power steering system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

zim112 11-03-2012 06:48 PM

Re: Power Steering Fluid 3.6L

I believe this is a factory problem and they are working on a resolution. I know that there is a problem with one of the hoses getting to hot which causes a leak. They have yet to fix the problem.

Milous 11-03-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazzman (Post 706501)
...I don't know whether I have the Electric power steering or standard serpentine belt driven power steering.

A visual inspection will tell, the belt drive pump will have a pulley and a couple of electrical connectors.

Lazzman 11-03-2012 08:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I do believe it is has the mechanical power steering, as I do see a pully where there shouldn't be one if it were electric, but how does that explain my power steering fluid being yellow and not red (Mopar +4 fluid) like the specs for the mechanical pump call for???

Is there a non red powering steering fluid from Mopar I should buy?

Milous 11-03-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazzman (Post 706580)
Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I do believe it is has the mechanical power steering, as I do see a pully where there shouldn't be one if it were electric, but how does that explain my power steering fluid being yellow and not red (Mopar +4 fluid) like the specs for the mechanical pump call for???

Is there a non red powering steering fluid from Mopar I should buy?

You want the +4 fluid, which is reddish but could turn towards a brown/yellow as it ages. I would top it off, and closely monitor the level, checking for any leaks around the pump/hoses.

Lazzman 11-04-2012 12:23 PM

The fluid in there now is clear with a faint yellowish tint. I don't think it could have ever been the reddish color of the +4, That is why I am so confused.

I think a trip to the dealer would help.

Scottina06 11-04-2012 01:22 PM

I have a 3.6 Durango with the electric ps and the cap clearly reads its the electric steering and to use the correct fluid.

Milous 11-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazzman (Post 706744)
The fluid in there now is clear with a faint yellowish tint. I don't think it could have ever been the reddish color of the +4, That is why I am so confused.

I think a trip to the dealer would help.

What's the cap say? Are you the original owner? PM me your VIN and I will check build sheet, service history if any.

Djv1389 11-04-2012 05:34 PM

Look to see if there is any leaking around one of the power steering boots I had mine replaced on my 2011(power steering rack) because it was leaking out of the passenger side boot there is a tsb that you could bring to the dealers attention.the dealer wanted to just top mine off a second time and send me home until I told them about the tab it is a closed system and any leaking should not happen.good luck

Lazzman 11-05-2012 03:43 PM

The only thing it says on the cap is "Use specified fluid"

I am the original owner and picked it up with 8mi on the clock.

tnjeep 11-06-2012 07:09 AM

If it is the electric pump you will not see any belts in front/below the engine. Wich ever one it is you neet to make sure that you or the dealership puts in the right fluid! When I bought mine back in Jan I noticed when I got home the PS fluid was very low and brought it back to the dealer the next day. I had already read upon what fluid was required for the Electric PS motors and wouldn't you know it I look through the glass and the kid working on it was pouring regular PS fluid in. I jumped on him and the manager but they kept saying it was alright. Got the owners manual out and showed them and they still said it would be fine and not to worry about it. That is why I do my own work on all my vehicles, motorcycles, lawnmowers, boats, etc.