Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Cherokee-SJ and XJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/)
-   -   I have a dying problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/i-have-a-dying-problem-49866.html)

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 06:15 PM

I have a dying problem

U can start it no problem. Let it idle a second like normal. Take off no problem. Then it starts dying. The check engine light will come on and then it dies. Like its losing fire or losing gas. What could this be??? Ive checked the fuses and they are all good.

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 06:16 PM

Re: I have a dying problem

It is on a 99 cherokee

Frango100 11-04-2012 07:11 PM

This is the grand cherokee section, but you need to know which error code is stored. Do the key dance (ignition switch off/on 3 times and leave it in on at the third time. The odometer will show the error code(s) or Done when all ok.
If this doesn't work on your jeep, you need to get a scanner to get the code.

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 07:19 PM

yes its a 99 cherokee. tried messin with it again a few minutes ago and it would start and idle fine. no problems at all. took it around the block(aprox 1/2 mile) it died three times. went to back it into its spot and it died. start it up and started to accel and it dies. about 4 times. then 20 ft later its parked

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 07:22 PM

whats the difference between the grand cherokee and the cherokee???

Frango100 11-04-2012 07:27 PM

Never owned a cherokee, but it is smaller and there most probably are a lot of differences in the systems. The cherokee only comes with the 4.0 i think, while the grand cherokee can have the 4.0 or 4.7. The picture below my message shows the grand cherokee or WJ.
But do the keydance and let us know which error codes you get.

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 07:42 PM

well i havent found the cherokee troubleshooting forum yet. i sorry

Frango100 11-04-2012 07:45 PM

That is no problem. We can try to help you here, but (at least i talk for me) we know more about the grand cherokee then the cherokee. We could maybe mislead you with wrong information. Did you try the keydance already?

jeeptuff328 11-04-2012 07:52 PM

no its dark here already and the skeeters were tearin me up so im gonna look up some more possibilities online and mess arounf with this site some more tryin. sorry about posting on the grand forum. someone told me to ask around on the wj forum and this was the only one i could find.

Frango100 11-04-2012 10:22 PM

Sorry, but checking for the error codes (DTC´s= Diagnostic Trouble Codes) you can do in the middle of the night and even sitting inside the jeep.:rolleyes:
This is the first step in trouble shooting before you can decide in changing any part. Several things can cause the problem you have and looking for the DTC is just the first step.
A WJ is a jeep grand cherokee 1999-2004. If you have a cherokee it must be a XJ.

jameyt 05-13-2013 07:43 PM

i know im just gettin on here but i had the same problem you did as far as the dying i changed the dist.cap and rotor and my dying stopped...but mine still cuts out like its not gettin enough fuel....but try those things it might help out