Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Sunroof rattling (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/sunroof-rattling-4989.html)

mitchelm 12-25-2009 01:14 PM

Sunroof rattling

Any of you guys getting a sunroof noise when closed on rough roads. It started at approx 19,000 miles for me only on rough roads. But now at 20,000 miles, any little bump, etc., and my sunroof is making all sorts of rattling sounds. If I tilt it up, no noise. If i open slightly, no noise. If its closed, but place pressure on it with my hand, no noise. The rattling is driving me nuts. Any suggestions on what I should look at. If its a simple fix, I'd rather do it myself. No idea where to start.

Also, merry xmas to all.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-25-2009 03:08 PM

Re: Sunroof rattling

im getting the same noise from my rear drivers side window. if i open it a crack it is silent but full closed it rattles while driving.

TimmyB 12-25-2009 05:13 PM

I dont have a sunroof. But I would check the gaskets all around it.

Scottina06 12-25-2009 06:05 PM

I dont have a sunroof....but it sounds like one of the brackets that is connnected to the panel or something like that is lose. I would take it to the dealer

Scottina06 12-25-2009 06:06 PM

you can also check for any TSB's on www.wkjeeps.com

SilverLimited 12-25-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 120956)
im getting the same noise from my rear drivers side window. if i open it a crack it is silent but full closed it rattles while driving.

Have the exact same problem and noise on my 05 GCL. It's definitely coming from the upper half of the rear door, driver side. I'll retry opening and closing the window, but when I did that the rattle remained. Tried loosening and retightening the courtesy lite/hanger bracket screws, no change. Some have mentioned a possible loose mount for the side impact curtain air bag, but I don't have that option. Doesn't mean that a mounting bracket has come loose. It also might be that the sun roof mounting bracket extend that far back. Either way, will have to finally nail this annoying problem.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-25-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverLimited (Post 121025)
Have the exact same problem and noise on my 05 GCL. It's definitely coming from the upper half of the rear door, driver side. I'll retry opening and closing the window, but when I did that the rattle remained. Tried loosening and retightening the courtesy lite/hanger bracket screws, no change. Some have mentioned a possible loose mount for the side impact curtain air bag, but I don't have that option. Doesn't mean that a mounting bracket has come loose. It also might be that the sun roof mounting bracket extend that far back. Either way, will have to finally nail this annoying problem.

mine is definately a loose conection between the top of the window and the door area where the windows rests at when fully closed. when its open a tiny bit it is silent but closed it drives me nuts.

TimmyB 12-25-2009 10:47 PM

If I were you I would spend some time just trying to figure it out. Sux its cold out now, but I bet if you just take some time and fiddle with different things you can find exactly where the problem is. You already seem to know where its coming from, or from when it happens with the window being fully closed and not slightly opened.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-26-2009 02:14 AM

im thinking of getting in channel vent visors to try and have something jamed in there to keep it from rattling haha