Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Blown Engine/ Head gasket (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/blown-engine-head-gasket-49903.html)

donddon 11-05-2012 02:04 PM

Blown Engine/ Head gasket

So I think I blew out my head gasket over the weekend. Started with a ticking noise to a rattle and finally a heavy shaking.(Have milky fluid on the oil cap) and last time I started it I had white smoke from the exhaust. Am not too sure if it got overheated. That's a question I have had asked a few times as I try to get some quotes. I was out on a freeway at 2 a.m so I had to try and get home and deal with the damage later.

So I will have it "looked" at and get the exact problem, either just the head gasket or if anything is wrong with the bottom part of the engine.
They will also look at the transmission since as i have been having 1st and 2nd gear skip when pulling (they rev up as if I floored the gas pedal). $75 for the full diagnostics of above refundable if they do the work.

Am going to finance the repair so I wanted to get some tips on what to do to increase performance while they have it apart. Its a 4.0L I6.

Also, if nothing wrong with bottom of engine, I will just have the heads done, but if I have something wrong with the bottom, is it advisable to rebuild that engine or get a used engine. Am also looking into costs and watching the out of pocket $$$ as I dont have any right now.

Thanks for any help.

hoffmanestates 11-08-2012 06:09 AM

I rebuilt my 4.7 for 1,200$ and did all.work my self except machining of heads,new valves,springs, so pretty much 600$ was just for both heads to get freshened up. And rest was parts. From online,local,dealer.

If you have time. You will save a lot Tapatalk 2

donddon 11-08-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Blown Engine/ Head gasket

She needs a "new' engine. There is a crack on the cylinder. She's getting a $90,000 engine for $1,500 and parts and labor for $1,200. I guess it couldn't be worse but she will be back in 2-3 weeks.

I dont know much about cars, so I wouldn't even dream of trying to swap an engine. Am the change oil and tires only type of guy.

1Bad04Cherokee 11-29-2012 06:09 PM

just curious as to the cause of the head gasket failure? Is it fairly common in the 4.0's?? Was it high mileage...abuse? Or?? Im a new jeeper so i would like to avoid this issue

FlyinRyan 11-29-2012 08:47 PM

I can write custom tunes for the 4.0s .

hoffmanestates 12-01-2012 02:59 PM

My machinist told me on my motor the lack of coolant changing. Caused electrolysis and started pitting my heads and gasket. So now every year coolant flush.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

donddon 12-19-2012 03:44 PM

Oh finally she will be back by Friday :). I had an engine cooling system problem and a leaking radiotor. One day i decide as I drove down a remote road to get off on the gravel part and floor it. Sounded good with the air filter cone but that is what did it for the engine. The guy told me it over heated and cylinder 6 eventually cracked, I had to drive it down the freeway trying to get as close to home as possible before it completely died so that made the crack into a hole. They changed the engine block and machined the headers, replaced the radiator and did a transmission gasket changed (tranny fluid was leaking at bottom). They are giving her some mileage before she comes back home.

hoffmanestates 12-27-2012 07:41 PM

^^ ball.park cost?

donddon 12-28-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 729404)
^^ ball.park cost?

Sent from my lg-p999 using tapatalk 2

$3000

donddon 12-28-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 717354)
I can write custom tunes for the 4.0s .

Pardon my ignorance but...what does this mean. I have seen it here before and people saying you do it and I concluded "....ahh he does something to the engine computer..." and left it at that. Care to explain or someone?

hoffmanestates 12-28-2012 03:53 PM

Its tuning of parameters. Adjustimg fuel,timing. Af ratios.

stashgto 12-28-2012 03:58 PM

I think the 4.0 is a great mtotr I've seen some at around 275,000 ans still going strong. I kinda wish it was in my Wk instead of the 3.7 beacause of that. I don't think anyone really knows how far one of these will go yet.