Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Brakes locked up! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/brakes-locked-up-49931.html)

Surfer01 11-06-2012 06:19 AM

Brakes locked up!

Vehicle has been standing for 3 days and this morning went to move it and it seems as if though the brakes have locked up. Rocked it back and forth a few times and then was able to reverse, however on going forward, brakes locked up.
Can move backwards, but only a few feet forward before they lock up again. Although weather has been cool not exactly cold. This is a 4 x 4 that should cope with any weather thrown at it.
We are beginning to regret buying this Jeep as it has been back for repair every week since we purchased it!
Any one with any ideas please. It is the GC 3.0L CRD with 61,000 miles on the clock!

spyder873 11-06-2012 08:20 AM

Re: Brakes locked up!

do you use the parking brake?

Surfer01 11-06-2012 08:36 AM

I always put on the parking brake in addition to selecting "P". Breakdown came and mechanic said it is the rear offside calliper that is activating. Sometimes it can move about 20 to 2 foot forward and the brake suddenly applies on its own. Occasionally when in reverse.
As said initially it would not move back or forwards. Now the vehicle moves in either direction, but the calliper self engages? Mechanic jacked up the vehicle and nearside rear spun freely whereas rear offside was locked up solid.
Eventually had to uplift vehicle to garage. Any ideas please? Thanks.

spyder873 11-06-2012 08:43 AM

I have never heard of a brake caliper auto engaging , considering its a hydraulic system . It sound to me, like your parking brake is not disengaging .

being its only the rear wheels , The front doesn't have the parking brake on them .

Surfer01 11-06-2012 08:55 AM

That is what I would have thought, but it releases the rear brakes and you can creep forward about 20 - 30 yards and then calliper activates and locks up the rear wheel.
Just to be clear it is the rear right hand side or what we know as the rear offside just in case your offside is different to ours. LOL!

spyder873 11-06-2012 09:03 AM

It maybe , I dont know for sure . Hmmm, If it is a electronic problem , I wonder if disconnecting the battery for a minute or two would reset it ?

Kinda like resetting the computer ????

I am not familiar with the differences in the UK models compared to the US models , Sorry

bill_de 11-06-2012 09:04 AM

This is more of a question than an answer.

Could there be a malfunction in a traction control sensor causing the system to apply the brake?

Can you shut the TC off and try moving the car?

spyder873 11-06-2012 09:08 AM

wouldnt that throw a code or something? ABS light?

TJXJWJ 11-06-2012 09:09 AM

My wife's 06 would sometimes do that, but not as badly as you're describing. We came back from a trip a few months ago and the WK sat in the airport parking lot during a rainy week. It wouldn't move. Finally I made sure I was clear and gave the gas a little punch and it popped out, no problems after that. It also happened once or twice before that after sitting out during rain. Once it "popped" that was it though...there was never an instance where the brake would re-lock-up afterwards.

Surfer01 11-06-2012 09:17 AM

This one constantly locks up whether in forward or reverse after a few yards. Puzzling!

spyder873 11-06-2012 09:53 AM

check this out

2005 Jeep Grand cherokee: locking..electric brake system warning light - JustAnswer

spyder873 11-06-2012 10:02 AM

looks like there was also a recall on something like this in 2007

2007 - A recall was issued for faulty anti-lock brake software that may cause the rear brakes to lock up under certain conditions

here is more on the recall

http://www.arfc.org/autos/jeep/grand...85/recall.aspx