Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   DRL destroyed reflector (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/drl-destroyed-reflector-49947.html)

Suther 11-06-2012 10:46 AM

DRL destroyed reflector

Good Morning,

Saw this morning that my DRLs have a mated spot from 10-2 o'clock on the reflector :eek:.

Looks like the reflector isn't made to last a continuous light:mad: or better the heat of it. What a ...

Anybody else recon it?

Edit: I hat spell correction, should actually mean 'reflector'.

brandont 11-06-2012 01:36 PM

Re: DRL destroy reflector

The 'cloudy' spot is apparently there on all HID models. I personally confirmed this with a trip to the dealer and looked at several HID & halogen models myself. All the HIDs had the cloudy spot.

Suther 11-06-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 707693)
The 'cloudy' spot is apparently there on all HID models. I personally confirmed this with a trip to the dealer and looked at several HID & halogen models myself. All the HIDs had the cloudy spot.

So it's not a bug it's a feature? I see it as low quality. The first car I've ever seen this happening!

AussieJeep 11-06-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 707756)
So it's not a bug it's a feature? I see it as low quality. The first car I've ever seen this happening!

I know of a guy with a limited who got both his headlights replaced for this reason under warranty, new ones have again clouded, unfortunately an unwanted feature with them all.

John47 11-06-2012 05:21 PM

Our export CRD with HID's has the cloudy spot in the DRL @ 10 to 2, exactly as Suther described. 19k and 7 months since delivery.
I'll point it out to the dealer when it gets its 20k service next week and see what they say....

brandont 11-06-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJeep (Post 707788)
I know of a guy with a limited who got both his headlights replaced for this reason under warranty, new ones have again clouded, unfortunately an unwanted feature with them all.

Huh. I thought they came from the factory this way...?

Studgun 11-06-2012 08:52 PM

Mine are shiny all over. I pulled the DRL relays the day I got it though, so they're only ever on as the parking lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobT 11-07-2012 12:03 AM

Re: DRL destroyed reflector

Mine has that also after only 6 months. It's surprising because the DRLs bulbs are only 7W incandescents the same as the stop/tail lamp bulbs. Luckily DRLs are meant to be seen and not to illuminate so the reflector serves only to make the light look bigger. Still it's not a good look. It might be worth a warranty claim closer to the warranty's expiry in the hope that they have a better reflector out by then.

Suther 11-07-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 707940)
Mine has that also after only 6 months. It's surprising because the DRLs bulbs are only 7W incandescents the same as the stop/tail lamp bulbs. Luckily DRLs are meant to be seen and not to illuminate so the reflector serves only to make the light look bigger. Still it's not a good look. It might be worth a warranty claim closer to the warranty's expiry in the hope that they have a better reflector out by then.

Good approach. I investigated mine a little closer; looks to me that connector to the bulb is brownish and has given some fume. So guess some components of the connector 'gas-out' and blind the reflector. The reflector is actually fine.

Curious if the other reflectors in the taillights look similiar:eek:

savvas 11-14-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 707940)

Mine too. I'll put in a claim in about a year or so. Then again towards end of warranty if it reoccurs.

Snipe315 11-15-2012 04:49 PM

The DRLs on my 2012 Overland are also hazed over from 10 to 2 oclock.

:(

BobT 11-15-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 707871)
Mine are shiny all over. I pulled the DRL relays the day I got it though, so they're only ever on as the parking lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that these are a supposed to be a safety feature. Disabling the DRLs may affect your insurance.