Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Are K&N Intakes "Too" loud? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/are-k-and-n-intakes-too-loud-49960.html)

MikeBarillaro 11-06-2012 02:37 PM

Are K&N Intakes "Too" loud?

I have been debating getting an Intake for my 2002 wj overland 4.7H.O, 57 Series K&N to be exact. But i have read on several websites that they are extremely loud and annoying, is this true?

JeepFreak12 11-07-2012 06:08 AM

Re: Are K&N Intakes "Too" loud?

They are only loud when you put your foot to the floor. Personally i love the sound!

TJXJWJ 11-07-2012 08:37 AM

Yeah, only loud when you hammer it...and when that's happening, the exhaust usually overpowers the intake. It's loud when you're running it and have the hood open too, but in my opinion, it's not annoying at all.

MikeBarillaro 11-07-2012 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info, really looking into getting a 57 series.

TJXJWJ 11-07-2012 06:31 PM

While you're at it, I highly recommend you get one of these for that open-element filter you're going to be running now. It's like a condom for your spendy air filter. It deflects water and keeps the filter a LOT cleaner.
www.summitracing.com
part number : KNN-RF-1045DK

cheapjeep 11-07-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 708337)
While you're at it, I highly recommend you get one of these for that open-element filter you're going to be running now. It's like a condom for your spendy air filter. It deflects water and keeps the filter a LOT cleaner.
www.summitracing.com

Oh God here we go again:D I think he has stock in the mesh company. Buy one or he'll never leave you alone:lol: Works wonders for keeping debris out of your filter though. Oh and Mike an intake is never,ever too loud. When you flog it the sound reminds you of the old days when you put your foot into a big old 4 barrel. The sound is awesome!

MikeBarillaro 11-08-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 708408)
Oh God here we go again:D I think he has stock in the mesh company. Buy one or he'll never leave you alone:lol: Works wonders for keeping debris out of your filter though. Oh and Mike an intake is never,ever too loud. When you flog it the sound reminds you of the old days when you put your foot into a big old 4 barrel. The sound is awesome!

:D I CAN'T wait!!! haha

JeepFreak12 11-08-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 708337)
www.summitracing.com

There is no performance loss? That's what I'm afraid of. But i do hate washing the filter every couple weeks.

TJXJWJ 11-08-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 708575)
There is no performance loss? That's what I'm afraid of. But i do hate washing the filter every couple weeks.

Not that I noticed. Maybe if you were a VERY highly tuned drag-only kinda set up, it might, but it's really not restricting anything. It's very thin, very fine mesh. You can see right through it.

JeepFreak12 11-08-2012 12:49 PM

I have to pick one up for sure then, tired of dead flies in the valley in the cone.

TJXJWJ 11-08-2012 01:19 PM

Sounds like a heavy metal song..."Dead flies in the valley of the cone" by FiveFingerFistF*ck

JeepFreak12 11-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 708631)
Sounds like a heavy metal song..."Dead flies in the valley of the cone" by FiveFingerFistF*ck

Hahaha yeah it does!