Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Oh Bugger!!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/oh-bugger-49961.html)

chudsy 11-06-2012 03:22 PM

Oh Bugger!!!!

Hi All,
Paranoid Paul here again.
I've been trying to pinpoint my front end clunk which I don't like as I'm new to Jeeps. Anyway, I manage to have 5 minutes with a break in the rain and get myself under the Jeep.
I can get a small amount of rotation by hand on the front prop which I believe could cause the clunk when shifting down from D to N and from R to N.
I haven't got anyone here who can do the shifts while I look so that'll have to wait.
Does this mean disaster and am I looking at a TC / front diff???
Thanks (hopefully for not too bad news!!)
Paul.
Edit: Just had someone go through the gears while I was looking. From N to D you can see the back prop load up with the torque and this is not clunky - you can see it almost strain to get the back end turning - it does get snappy when releasing from D to N as the torque build up is released rapidly but I read this is normal - the transmission shifts smoothly and I still need to get the ATF+4 out of the transfer case and put the proper fluid in and add a spot more additive in the diff.

chudsy 11-07-2012 03:43 AM

Re: Oh Bugger!!!!

Hi All,
Sorry to bump, but does can anyone tell me if the small amount of free rotation is ok for the front prop - rear prop doesn't move at all.
When I checked this the engine was not running.
Thanks,
Paul.

spyder873 11-07-2012 07:37 AM

Hi , I believe you are talking about the front drive shaft? If you are then it will normally have some play due to the transfer case and the play in the front diff.
When specificly are you getting the clunk? There is a lot of things that may cause it.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

chudsy 11-07-2012 07:53 AM

Hi,
Yes, I do mean the front drive shaft so that's ok. It clunks when going from D or R into N or P - just seems like an excessive release of the torque built up in the drive train. I'll have to have a look at the bushes but it seems more mechanical to me. Also more noticeable when warm.
Cheers
Paul.

spyder873 11-07-2012 08:21 AM

Its possible you may have a U-joint going bad. They usually clunk when you them under strain .
Have you checked the tranny fluid as well ?

See if there is any play ( movement) up and down or look at the joint and see if it is loose.

chudsy 11-07-2012 10:23 AM

I'll have a look at the U-joints.
Tranny fluid is lovely and fresh and up to the mark.
I know there's the incorrect fluid in the transfer case (ATF+4) and I'll get that done this weekend.
The guy who does the work on my vehicles used to work on the Jeeps years ago so knows the weak spots and noises so he'll be having a look at it in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Paul.