Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   WK2 Sunroofs - buzz, squeaks, rattles and other issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-sunroofs-buzz-squeaks-rattles-and-other-issues-49966.html)

Milous 11-06-2012 04:42 PM

WK2 Sunroofs - buzz, squeaks, rattles and other issues

1. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Headliner Rattle Around Perimeter Of Sunroof

Check the dual lock fasteners - if a fastener is not engaged between the headliner and the sunroof module a buzz, squeak, or rattle may be present around the sunroof opening of the headliner.

If any location is not secured press up until the pieces of dual lock are locked together. (Gently pull down on headliner near sunroof opening to check for engagement of dual lock fasteners.)

There are 5 dual lock fasteners on the standard sunroof and 14 fasteners on the dual pane sunroof.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/interior/wk2...teners_01m.jpg

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

---------------------------------------------------
2. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Inoperative

Discussion:

Some recent reports indicate the sunroof does not open. Inspection has revealed the main headliner harness to sunroof module may not be connected. The main sunroof harness connector originally taped to the headliner needs to be inspected for proper routing and connection. Inspect and connect as needed to resolve.

3. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Wind Deflector Noise

Diagnosis:

Some early reports indicate the top bow of the wind deflector vibrates at highway speeds. This vibration is mostly been described as a visual concern, however, some owners may complain of a slight noise associated with this movement.

Repair Procedure:

Review the concern with the owner as described. Drive the vehicle to duplicate the complaint, if the condition is evident, isolate the deflector, and note any change. If concern changed during the isolation, replace the wind deflector as needed. The new deflector and spring should resolve some wind related turbulence at highway speeds, it however will not correct concerns with rattles unless the attachment screws are loose.

Note: The wind deflector should not be replaced for rattle concerns when the sunroof is in the closed position.

Verification: Test the operation to complete.

4. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Creaks Driving On Uneven Surfaces, Bumpy Road Conditions

Discussion:

Some early reports indicate full vehicle sunroofs, sales code GWJ, Power Front, Fixed Rear may creak at times when driving through certain road conditions. Validate the sunroof is adjusted per the specifications as required. Apply Mopar Krytox Lubricant 4773427 to the sunroof seals, test the vehicle for noise to complete.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/misc/Sunroof...000037_01m.jpg

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

--Milous

Iceman4123ca 04-06-2013 06:57 AM

Re: WK2 Sunroofs - buzz, squeaks, rattles and other issues

Thanks for this info.

dcar335i 04-10-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info, it appears to have solved the problem with my rattling sunroof. I found one of the passenger side headliner fastners was not engaged. I pushed-up and heard it snap and no more rattle. This is the simplest fix possible!

Celestinemusic 04-23-2013 11:53 PM

I had the same issue. Rattle was just noticeable. I found two clips on the right dude not snapped in. A little push on each solved the problem. You could hear them snap into place when pushing up on the headliner.

ONU1974 04-24-2013 10:35 AM

To anyone who works at the factory..1) thanks for all of your help on the forum and for what you do daily. 2) Is there any system in place where Jeep listens to problems that owners have and work to fix them so no new Jeeps leave the factory with the same problems?

GTREVINOWK2 04-26-2013 08:55 PM

Good info

tmerry2007 05-08-2013 04:51 PM

Many thanks!! A couple upward pushes locked it in and now I don't have an annoying rattle over my head.

johhn14 06-17-2013 07:31 PM

My 2011 has developed a rattle in the sunroof. I believe it is the rear pane. I'll be addressing this when it next goes in for service.

Thanks for the post!

akasjl 06-23-2013 09:52 AM

Thanks for posting this info. I alco came across the service bulletin below from another forum; might be listed here in Jeep Garage but haven't checked. I believe this is the issue I am having. Has anyone with a qualifying Grand Cherokee had this service performed who can inform on their experience? Also, anyone take their Jeep to DARCARS in Silver Spring, MD? Would love to get feedback on their sevice department. Thank you.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 23-013-13
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 22, 2013
SUBJECT: Creak Or Click Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the dual pane sunroof for a potential creak, click or rattle and if necessary, replacing the dual pane sunroof frame assembly.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to November 8, 2012 (MDH
1108XX) equipped with dual pane sunroof (sales code GWJ).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a creak, click or rattle from the dual pane sunroof.

Ifsjeep 06-23-2013 12:01 PM

Mine has developed a clicking which is getting worse. Happens when i go over bumps. Can someone post a picture of what these clips look like? Thanks!

rsmith87 06-24-2013 12:52 PM

this is huge knowing im not the only one - ill be checking on those fasteners the minute I get home. thanks for the images!

johhn14 06-29-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johhn14 (Post 843562)
My 2011 has developed a rattle in the sunroof. I believe it is the rear pane. I'll be addressing this when it next goes in for service.

Thanks for the post!

Grrrr...It is in for service right now and they say its not covered under warranty! 2012s have a TSB but no such thing for 2011