Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

WK2 Sunroofs - buzz, squeaks, rattles and other issues

102K views 116 replies 84 participants last post by  Doppleganger 
#1 ·
1. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Headliner Rattle Around Perimeter Of Sunroof

Check the dual lock fasteners - if a fastener is not engaged between the headliner and the sunroof module a buzz, squeak, or rattle may be present around the sunroof opening of the headliner.

If any location is not secured press up until the pieces of dual lock are locked together. (Gently pull down on headliner near sunroof opening to check for engagement of dual lock fasteners.)

There are 5 dual lock fasteners on the standard sunroof and 14 fasteners on the dual pane sunroof.

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

---------------------------------------------------
2. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Inoperative

Discussion:

Some recent reports indicate the sunroof does not open. Inspection has revealed the main headliner harness to sunroof module may not be connected. The main sunroof harness connector originally taped to the headliner needs to be inspected for proper routing and connection. Inspect and connect as needed to resolve.

3. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Wind Deflector Noise

Diagnosis:

Some early reports indicate the top bow of the wind deflector vibrates at highway speeds. This vibration is mostly been described as a visual concern, however, some owners may complain of a slight noise associated with this movement.

Repair Procedure:

Review the concern with the owner as described. Drive the vehicle to duplicate the complaint, if the condition is evident, isolate the deflector, and note any change. If concern changed during the isolation, replace the wind deflector as needed. The new deflector and spring should resolve some wind related turbulence at highway speeds, it however will not correct concerns with rattles unless the attachment screws are loose.

Note: The wind deflector should not be replaced for rattle concerns when the sunroof is in the closed position.

Verification: Test the operation to complete.

4. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Creaks Driving On Uneven Surfaces, Bumpy Road Conditions

Discussion:

Some early reports indicate full vehicle sunroofs, sales code GWJ, Power Front, Fixed Rear may creak at times when driving through certain road conditions. Validate the sunroof is adjusted per the specifications as required. Apply Mopar Krytox Lubricant 4773427 to the sunroof seals, test the vehicle for noise to complete.

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

--Milous

See less See more
#5 ·
To anyone who works at the factory..1) thanks for all of your help on the forum and for what you do daily. 2) Is there any system in place where Jeep listens to problems that owners have and work to fix them so no new Jeeps leave the factory with the same problems?

#9 ·
Thanks for posting this info. I alco came across the service bulletin below from another forum; might be listed here in Jeep Garage but haven't checked. I believe this is the issue I am having. Has anyone with a qualifying Grand Cherokee had this service performed who can inform on their experience? Also, anyone take their Jeep to DARCARS in Silver Spring, MD? Would love to get feedback on their sevice department. Thank you.

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 23-013-13
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 22, 2013
SUBJECT: Creak Or Click Noise From Dual Pane Sunroof
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the dual pane sunroof for a potential creak, click or rattle and if necessary, replacing the dual pane sunroof frame assembly.
MODELS:
2012 - 2013 WK Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to November 8, 2012 (MDH
1108XX) equipped with dual pane sunroof (sales code GWJ).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a creak, click or rattle from the dual pane sunroof.

#13 ·
I have a 2014 Summit and some times I get a rattle noise right above my head by the sun visor. I hope I can find a loose clip and pop it into place. I hate like hell to buy a 55k Jeep and have a darn rattle a 300 miles. Sure don't want them to tear the darn headliner out, it never goes back in the same and then there's always the possiblity of getting more rattles or even worse damage to the vehicle it self. I printed off the diagram and I'm going to take it to the dealer have it documented and hopefully I can have a simple, quick fix.

#33 ·
I still question why anyone would buy a brand new vehicle. They devalue so much in first 2 years

Buy 3-4 years old under 30k miles and you're set. You'll save almost 50%. And obviously buying new doesn't help as far as not having rattles and issues

My 2011 was bought for $58,400 according to the sales receipt I found. I paid $26,300 with 31,200 miles in October 2014.
Car fax shows original owner had to take it in for a handful of fixes like this.

Thank you OG buyer, you absorbed the upfront profit from Chrylser for me!!

#14 ·
I had a pretty good creak in my 2014 Summit, especially when the body was flexing (driveways, sharp turns etc). When I took it to the dealer to have a few additional items taken care of , I added this to the list. After a few days, they decided to replace the entire tract system for the sunroof, as they were unable to get the creak to go away. I should pick it up again tomorrow and we will see what change that makes.

#15 ·
Hello all. It seems I'm not the only one having a newly discovered water leak on the driver side sunvisor bracket. :-( I looked at the other threads here but I cannot figure out where the drain holes are. It's 2011 JGC Overland with the normal sized sunroof. Very frustrated. I appreciate the help locating the drain holes.

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

#17 ·
The same for me. They had to replace the entire track system as recommende in the bulletin; which I dreaded. The interior shade could not be replaced ss taut/tight as from factory which pissed me off. But what choice did I have. I now just keep the interior shade open.

#20 ·
All data calibration guideYour Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Truck Grand Cherokee 4WD V6-3.6L

Vehicle » Body and Frame » Roof and Associated Components » Sunroof / Moonroof » Sunroof / Moonroof Motor » Testing and Inspection » Sunroof Motor And Module InitializationSUNROOF MOTOR AND MODULE INITIALIZATION

Sunroof Motor And Module InitializationSUNROOF MOTOR AND MODULE INITIALIZATION

SUNROOF MOTOR AND MODULE INITIALIZATION

SINGLE PANE SUNROOF

INITIALIZATION

A new motor is shipped uncalibrated with no vehicle cycles having been run. After installation and connection of the wire harness, the following steps must be taken to initialize the new motor and module unit.

NOTE: Verify that the battery is in good condition prior to performing this procedure. Do not leave the vehicle on a battery charger while performing this procedure. If the voltage at the sunroof motor and module unit drops below 11 volts or exceeds 15 volts at anytime while this procedure is being performed, the motor and module initialization procedure will not be properly completed.
NOTE: If at any point during the following procedure the sunroof does not respond as expected, restart the procedure at Step 1.
Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch until the sunroof sliding glass panel moves to the fully closed hard stop and then back to the tilt (VENT) position.
Release the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch, then depress and hold the CLOSE push button again within 5 seconds.
As the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch is held, the sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the fully closed position, then to the fully opened position and then fully closed again.
Initialization is complete. Release the sunroof switch push button.
REINITIALIZATION

The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn and update motor stall position and obstacle detection.

NOTE: If at any point during the following procedure the sunroof does not respond as expected, restart the procedure at Step 1.
Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding glass panel is fully closed.
Continue to hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch. It will take at least 10 seconds for the initialization process to begin.
The sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the hard stop and then back to the tilt (VENT) position.
Release the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch, then depress and hold the CLOSE push button again within 5 seconds.
As the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch is held, the sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the fully closed position, then to the fully opened position and then fully closed again.
Initialization is complete. Release the sunroof switch push button.
DUAL PANE SUNROOF

A new motor is shipped uncalibrated with no vehicle cycles having been run. After installation and connection of the wire harness, the following steps must be taken to initialize the new motor and module unit.

NOTE: Verify that the battery is in good condition prior to performing this procedure. Do not leave the vehicle on a battery charger while performing this procedure. If the voltage at the sunroof motor and module unit drops below 11 volts or exceeds 15 volts at anytime while this procedure is being performed, the motor and module initialization procedure will not be properly completed.
SUNROOF

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Depress and hold the VENT push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding glass panel has moved to the fully vented position.
Be certain that the sunshade has opened to at least beyond the back of the sliding glass panel opening before finishing the sunroof motor and module initialization.
Depress the VENT push button of the sunroof switch and release. The sliding glass panel should travel to the fully vented position.
Depress the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch and release. The sliding glass panel should travel past the fully closed position, then reverse direction back to fully closed to set the sunroof seal.
Depress the OPEN push button of the sunroof switch and release. The sliding glass panel should travel to the fully opened position.
Depress the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch and release. The sliding glass panel should travel to the fully closed position.
Repeat Steps 4 through 7 for at least 5 complete sliding glass panel cycles (VENT, CLOSE, OPEN, CLOSE).
SUNSHADE

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding sunshade panel has moved to the fully closed position.
Be certain that the sunroof sliding glass panel is in the fully closed position before finishing the sunshade motor and module initialization.
Depress the OPEN push button of the sunshade switch and release. The sunshade panel should travel to the mid-open position at least beyond the back of the sliding glass panel opening.
Depress the OPEN push button of the sunshade switch again and release. The sunshade panel should travel to the fully opened position.
Depress the CLOSE push button of the sunshade switch and release. The sunshade panel should travel to the fully closed position.
Repeat Steps 4 through 6 for at least 5 complete sunshade panel cycles (MID-OPEN, FULL-OPEN, CLOSE).

#37 ·
This thread was very helpful - last night around midnight I went to check and see that the Jeep was locked and noticed the sunroof open in the vent position. The switch wouldn't function as it should so I spent 10 minutes trying to get the sunroof closed. This morning I did a search and found this procedure to recalibrate the switch/motor and now all is as it should be, and even better - no trip to the dealership.
Greg.

#21 ·
Today i noticed my sunroof squeeks when i close it from the "Vent" position. The squeek only occurs when its closing(on the way down).

#23 ·
Today i noticed my sunroof squeeks when i close it from the "Vent" position. The squeek only occurs when its closing(on the way down).
Have had the same issue with mine (RHD Aus model). During a few 30+ degree days I have left it open in the vent position. When I close it, it creaks/groans. Doesn't happen any other time.

#24 ·
Its interesting. It hasnt happened since the day i posted. I did notice that that day it was a bit hot in so cal. Somewhere in the mid 80's.

Maybe that was a factor and my truck was out in the sun all day.

#26 ·
Mine just started making cracking noises while I'm driving. If I press up on the glass while it's making that noise, it stops. When I release it starts back up. Annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

#27 ·
Twice now with my 2015 limited, the pano sunroof has opened randomly. First the shade opens partially, then after 30 seconds opens fully and then the glass opens in the tilt up position. I can't close it right away as the controls are inoperative for about a minute.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#28 ·
the pano sunroof issue has been a freaking nightmare. 1 year ago they had my '12 JGC for over 3.5 weeks replacing the sunroof. They ordered a new sunroof, installed it, and realized the existing motors were not compatible with the new sunroof, so they had to remove it and order all new motors. Problem solved....or so i thought. Fast forward a year, I'm on my 2nd week of waiting while another new pano sunroof gets installed. Why can't they fix the issues coming from the factory???

I love my Jeep, but it's been in the shop every other month. I've had to replace the sunroof 2x, i had a short circuit in visor which produced a small electrical fire, problem with the AC, problem with key fobs not working properly (still not resolved after 2.5 years of trying to fix this)

f'ing brutal....sorry for the rant

#29 ·
I am a new to Jeep Garage and a love it. I have a 2014 JGC Limited and have a complaint about the sun roof. Not sure if I am being picky or if others have experienced it as well. With the sunroof open at speeds below 50mph it's perfect, but above 50mph the wind noise becomes so loud I need to close it if I wish to hear the radio or hold a conversation with somebody. Any input or ways to determine what is "normal" and "not normal" would be helpful. Thanks very much !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.