Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

WK2 Sunroofs - buzz, squeaks, rattles and other issues

102K views 116 replies 84 participants last post by  Doppleganger 
#1 ·
1. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Headliner Rattle Around Perimeter Of Sunroof

Check the dual lock fasteners - if a fastener is not engaged between the headliner and the sunroof module a buzz, squeak, or rattle may be present around the sunroof opening of the headliner.

If any location is not secured press up until the pieces of dual lock are locked together. (Gently pull down on headliner near sunroof opening to check for engagement of dual lock fasteners.)

There are 5 dual lock fasteners on the standard sunroof and 14 fasteners on the dual pane sunroof.

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

---------------------------------------------------
2. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Inoperative

Discussion:

Some recent reports indicate the sunroof does not open. Inspection has revealed the main headliner harness to sunroof module may not be connected. The main sunroof harness connector originally taped to the headliner needs to be inspected for proper routing and connection. Inspect and connect as needed to resolve.

3. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Wind Deflector Noise

Diagnosis:

Some early reports indicate the top bow of the wind deflector vibrates at highway speeds. This vibration is mostly been described as a visual concern, however, some owners may complain of a slight noise associated with this movement.

Repair Procedure:

Review the concern with the owner as described. Drive the vehicle to duplicate the complaint, if the condition is evident, isolate the deflector, and note any change. If concern changed during the isolation, replace the wind deflector as needed. The new deflector and spring should resolve some wind related turbulence at highway speeds, it however will not correct concerns with rattles unless the attachment screws are loose.

Note: The wind deflector should not be replaced for rattle concerns when the sunroof is in the closed position.

Verification: Test the operation to complete.

4. Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sunroof Creaks Driving On Uneven Surfaces, Bumpy Road Conditions

Discussion:

Some early reports indicate full vehicle sunroofs, sales code GWJ, Power Front, Fixed Rear may creak at times when driving through certain road conditions. Validate the sunroof is adjusted per the specifications as required. Apply Mopar Krytox Lubricant 4773427 to the sunroof seals, test the vehicle for noise to complete.

IMAGE ENLARGEMENT

--Milous

See less See more
#38 ·
Thought I post here to avoid creating new thread:

Today I experienced something strange with my sun shade. I had the shade open for about a week now as i was on vacation and my truck was garaged. Today in the morning after i arrive at work tried closing the sunshade and once it was about to fully close it kept retracting back to the halfway point. Any idea what it can be? Sounded like a piece of dirt or something was obstructing. After a few tries it finally closed on its own but did sound like the tract went over something. Anyone else has experienced this?

#40 · (Edited)
Related to these sunroofs,there is a current recall for the pano sunroof on the 2011,(could be other years as well) due to electrical issues that may cause a fire,(was not impressed when I read that),although I have never had a problem with mine,it is an open recall,but with NO fix at this time,if you want to check on your vehicle,go to Jeep.com and enter you vin # and it will let you know.i got a notice via mail letting me know about the problem.Its pointless taking your vehicle to the Dealership yet as it is noted,at this time there is NO fix.Will update in future if I am required to take mine in to be checked.
To be more specific,Jeep.com,click on 'Owners' at top of page,then click 'recall' scroll down and put in your vin# and any open recall will be listed,if any.

#44 ·
Took mine in for an annoying rattle from the sunroof. View attachment 66603 . Hopefully fixed now.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
UPDATE: Even though the service order indicated that they found the source of the rattle and fixed it, the rattle persisted. So off to the dealership went the Jeep on Thursday in exchange for a loaner car. Service Advisor called the next day stating that they couldn't replicate the rattle, and if I could be kind enough to take the tech on a ride and point it out to him. A short drive with the tech on Saturday morning confirmed that the noise existed, and he said that the headliner needs to come off for it to be rectified :(:( The service advisor called today and said that they worked with the headliner, but since the pesky rattle still exists, the sunroof track would be next on the replacement list. The part is backordered and I will have to wait until it comes in. I plan on returning the loaner tomorrow morning and picking mine up until the part comes in. Hope the headliner is not dirty or anything. The dealership has been really great so far in trying to get this resolved, but this sounds like the same problem experienced by 2012 owners, and it's poor quality control on Chrysler's part to allow a problem to carry over several model years.:mad:

#43 ·
I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and am having sudden issues with the sun roof and power shade. The power shade is stuck in the open position (half way back), and neither of the power shade switches are working. The sun roof will no longer "auto-open", but will open and close if I hold down the buttons.

I've tried searching the forum for similar issues but haven't found any situations like this (most people have neither working or the opposite scenario). Anyone have any ideas? Possible loose connector or bad motor? I have verified the fuse is working..

thanks all!

#45 ·
I had mine done a year ago. Recently when I choose the vent option I get some cable that pops out between the roof and the headliner at the front of the roof. I can push it back in but it always pops back out when vent is chosen

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

#48 ·
The rattle is 100% gone now on my Summit (I posted above). I called the service manager to thank him - he said he knew the problem was fixed when his mechanic told him 7 bolts in my roof ended up taking torque. I was a little surprised that many can come from factory loose...

#49 ·
Hi Everyone, when investigating my rattling sunroof I noticed the the two fasteners on the sides of the sunroof are able to click in, however the three along the rear of the sunroof do not have a respective piece to connect to the headliner. The fastener piece is missing from the headliner. Has anyone ever replaced these on their own, have any tips?

Thanks!

#50 · (Edited)
Cancel that. The rattle is back and worse then ever it now does it when I open and close the driver side front and rear doors after sitting in the sun (as well as bumps over somewhat unsmooth surfaces).

Chrysler customer care has been sympathetic but they're now at the point they want to replace my entire sunroof. I obviously don't want that done due to the potential for leaks down the line. I have many videos of the noise happening driving and while doors are open and closed as its sitting.

The location of the rattle has been known from the start - directly above the drivers rear seat. I am able to pull down the roof liner and jam a microfibre clutch on the other side of the sunshade track. It seems to stop the rattle.

After 4 years you would think Chrysler would have this fixed. The best part is I named my dog Summit so once I dump this POS for an X5 or something I will be reminded for years every time I call my dogs name how much of a shitty purchase this was for 62k CAD.

After 2 headlight swaps, radio issues, my back window being replaced and now this roof issue I'm convinced Chrysler has no idea what "the best of what we're made of" should stand for - quality.

#51 ·
I just purchased a 2016 Limited with the panoramic sunroof and I am already getting the creaking/popping sound. Wondering if anyone has yet to find a DIY resolution? All of my fasteners are in place and I feel like I have it narrowed it down to likely being located near the end of the track just above the rear passenger seat. I'm trying to exhaust all DIY options before taking it to the dealership.

After reading a number of posts where people took their vehicle to the dealerships for the fix, but received it back with impaired sunroof functionality or damage to the headliner, I am a bit hesitant to go that route. Similar to Hollywood's sentiment.

My next thought is to remove the fixed pane and see if I can get an overhead view of any rubbing that I can't see from just pulling the headliner down a bit and looking up. I have tried every shim possible as remediation so far to no avail.

I appreciate any insight or suggestions.

#52 ·
Welcome to my world! My roof was dropped twice - once to tighten all the sunroof bolts and the other to verify everything checks out and to replace the roof - which I don't want to do. My rattle is located directly over the drivers side rear seat. Some days it does it non-stop others it doesn't seem to occur as much but each time the dealer has had it it's been evident and is acknowledged to be a problem. I have videos of me able to push up and down on the sunshade track to make the noise. Also videos of the noise happening just over normal road bumps on a highway.

The fix I have found without going through the risks of replacing my roof was to fold a microfiber cloth = couple times, pull down the roof around the rattle, jam the microcloth behind the sunshade track (so it doesn't catch it) and it seems to apply enough pressure to stop it.

I really don't want to replace my whole roof due to the potential for leaks in the future. I'm hoping this fix holds up. The noise comes back every couple weeks due to the cloth moving but once I put the microfiber back in place it seems to stop it again. I know the shop I am dealing with said Chrysler told them sometimes closing the sunshade only and inch from its fully open position is enough to stop the rattle. Try hitting the close-then open button really fast to park it 1" from the back they said that can sometimes be enough pressure to stop the rattle.

#53 · (Edited)
Was wondering if anybody has dealt with the Sunroof Inop issue, have a single pane sunroof on a 2015, Sunroof doesn't work at all. Took it in to the dealer today to have the transmission recall performed and to have them check the sunroof issue. When I picked it up he said I'm going to have to reschedule because they are going to have to drop the headliner and do more investigation :( maybe replace the motor. I'm over 36,000 miles so no warranty :(

#55 ·
The dealer wanted $1200 in parts (the entire track + glass, both of which are on backorder) and I can't even imagine how much in labor to fix the rattling issue I am having.

I took matters into my own hands.

I grabbed some cardboard and "accordion folded" it a bunch and jammed it nicely into the track on both sides - I've attached a photo of one side. No more creaking or rattling of any kind coming from the sunroof any longer. I can still use the front portion of the sunroof, too, assuming I only want to crack it. Honestly though, I never use my sunroof and have the visor on it at all times (which still closes 100%). :D

Attachments

Reactions: TheRabbit63
#59 ·
My headliner rattles when my sunroof shield is in the close position. Could this because the headliner is not fully fastened? It does not do it when the shield is slid closed.

Also a plastic piece shakes and rattles on the backside of the opening when the sunroof is in vent mode. Whats that?

#60 ·
I have an annoying sound that comes from above back right passenger seat it’s like creaking sound
Before that there was a loose screw bouncing on the headliner
I want to take my Jeep to the dealer but I’m afraid they will remove the entire headliner to fix it

Is there any easy fix for this sound ?

#61 ·
I am working on same issue right now. I have tried tightening the torx screws that connect sunroof to car frame but that didn’t fix it. I can reproduce creaking by alternating pushing up on right rear corner of sunroof from inside and then pushing down on right rear corner from outside. I just sprayed some lubricant into gap between sunroof glass and metal right below that at the edge but haven’t had a chance to test it and will have to wait until tomorrow. If that doesn’t work I am trying one more thing then off to the dealer it goes....

#66 ·
I have a single pane sunroof on my '15 GC and my issue is - when I press the "vent" button it opens but if I press the "close" button it doesn't close. if I press the "open" button once it doesn't open more than a inch at a time, then if I press the "close" button it closes but puts it into the "vent" open position......is this a switch or motor problem? Thanks for any help

#67 ·
My pano sunroof in my 18 GC High Altitude has been creaking like crazy. Took it to the dealer yesterday. This morning they called. Said, "We are having a problem getting the glass panels back into the sunroof. We are ordering a new track and will probably have your Jeep until next week" Ughhhhhhhh This Jeep is gonna be a leaker, isn't it? Ughhhhhh

#68 ·
Brought mine in for the Sunroof/Pillar creak on Thursday. The service manager thanked me for printing out the TSB. I told him that the interior is pristine and I was worried about how it will be after being taken apart. He assured me that it would be fine and he'd do the final inspection himself. I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll keep you posted on the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.