Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   $520 for a Recovery Hook (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/520-for-a-recovery-hook-50008.html)

COLCRD 11-07-2012 09:24 PM

$520 for a Recovery Hook

Am I the only one who thinks this is outrageous?

My vehicle is being delivered without a recovery hook today as they tried to slam an additioinal $520 to have a recovery hook fitted.

When I ordered the car I had no idea that it didn't have a front recovery hook. All of the specs available from CJD did not disclose this. It was not mentioned as an avaialble option or accessory.

I am spewing.:mad:

allypally 11-08-2012 01:18 AM

Re: $520 for a Recovery Hook

That is absolute rubbish.
I thought the going ripoff price was around $300

fwdjeep 11-08-2012 01:33 AM

I agree
I too was never tld when ordering the vehicle that correct recovery hooks were not included.
The sales an had no idea what the difference was between a tow hook and a recovery point.
I asked for a quote and was quoted $585 or thereabouts for each recovery point fitted
Totally unacceptable vehicle was when delivered 'Not Fit for purpose'
Jeep Australia are incompetent
The dears are even worse

Tooves 11-08-2012 01:37 AM

I was quoted $450 for the hook and 1.5 hours to fit at $148.50 per hour, total of $672.75 by Springwood a few weeks ago. Needless to say I am still without a front recovery hook. In talks with a boiler maker to either manufacture one or just buy one from eBay and get him to fit for me.

John47 11-08-2012 01:59 AM

They have been gone since the 2012 vehicles arrived, so any demo models you were able to look at didn't have the hooks - for part of the history look here....
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/no-to...elp-32051.html

My dealer came to the party because when we ordered in September 2011 the vehicles at the dealer all had front hooks.
Look here for a front hook on ebay - not hard to DIY - and it is genuine rated to 4500kg.
Jeep WK Grand Cherokee GENUINE Mopar Front Recovery Hook Part: CH8220WKRH | eBay

Don't use the tow eye that is packed in with the spare - it isn't rated for recovery.

Also check that if you get the Mopar towwbar fitted that the dealer does refit the REAR recovery hook - usually it goes in the too hard basket.
John

COLCRD 11-08-2012 07:09 AM

I found out about the issue on this forum after I placed my order. I also found out about the side steps and managed to get them changed to rock rails at no extra cost. Had attempted to get the recovery hook included but CJD are being bastards about it.

Studgun 11-08-2012 07:52 AM

Finally bit the bullet and bought one off eBay for $380 delivered. Got a jet ski coming and don't want to risk getting bogged while launching or trailering it at the lake with no way of being rescued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COLCRD 11-08-2012 08:02 AM

Still a massive rip off at that price

Studgun 11-08-2012 08:10 AM

Agreed, and that's without fitting. Pity there are no other options at this point. I think I'll get the 4wd centre to fit it for free when I get my towbar installed. HR sent them the wrong towbar and they couldn't install it when i went in last time so they said they'd look after me somehow to make up for it.

allypally 11-08-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 708520)
Finally bit the bullet and bought one off eBay for $380 delivered. Got a jet ski coming and don't want to risk getting bogged while launching or trailering it at the lake with no way of being rescued.

Would that be Lake Eyre?:lol:

GMWK2 11-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Lake Eyre?
Or is it the Timor Sea?

John47 11-08-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studgun (Post 708527)
Agreed, and that's without fitting. Pity there are no other options at this point. I think I'll get the 4wd centre to fit it for free when I get my towbar installed. HR sent them the wrong towbar and they couldn't install it when i went in last time so they said they'd look after me somehow to make up for it.

It shouldn't take them long to fit - I did it in less than an hour and that included reading the directions!!
When the HR towbar is fitted I understand the rear tow hook is discarded because it isn't compatible with the bar. (the Mopar bar will accept it back)
Maybe worth while getting a tow shank for the HR receiver and sticking it in with the spare tyre. That way you'll have a rated set up to recover someone else - the 4wd centre will likely have them in stock.
John