Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   I feel a little safer in my WK now (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/i-feel-a-little-safer-in-my-wk-now-50118.html)

NHWK05 11-10-2012 02:22 PM

I feel a little safer in my WK now

Last week while taking my lunch break my co workers and I all witnessed a terrible accident. We all work for Asplundh Tree Experts trimming road sidetrees for power line clearance. We were at a store in NH at the intersections of RT31 and RT124 near the massachusetts border. A Kenworth tractor with no trailer was heading south to MA, and a WK Overland was coming from MA heading West in to NH towards New Ipswitch. The intersection is a 2 way stop with the stops on 124. The jeep came up the hill and according to the driver following the wk, the wk never touched the brakes and ran the stop sign at about 45 mph. The truck was traveling about 40mph when the jeep struck it in the steps below the cab and sent the truck spinning. Both drivers walked away with no injuries though the older man driving the jeep was incoherent and had no idea where he was coming from or going. He left with medics to check for concussion or whiplash. What concerns me is the air bags never went off in the jeep. The truck suffered bent rear ends and a lot of bolt on damage. It was flat towed away. The jeep is totaled I'd think. Iit was scary to see it happen but I'm glad everyone was ok. The impact sound was amazing and seeing the semi spin was scary.

NHWK05 11-10-2012 02:38 PM

Re: I feel a little safer in my WK now

6 Attachment(s)
Pics

05WKinPA 11-10-2012 03:10 PM

Amazing that he walked away uninjured. I'm really surprised the airbags didn't go off either.

Bikemobile 11-10-2012 03:50 PM

Probably not enough forward impact and more sideswipe damage to the front. The delta v (change in velocity and force) was probably pretty low. In other words the damage looks very serious but the actual impact was not.

Looking at the mostly straight hood tells me that there was not much rearward intrusion.

Cars are really smart these says. Ive seen suvs hit elk with both front airbags deployed, and the same kind of car roll 2-3 times with only the curtain bags deployed.

DurangoZJ 11-10-2012 04:13 PM

How the hell did the airbags not go off? Read on the news that 900k jeeps are being recalled due to random airbag deployments. Maybe they have the opposite problem as well. Glad both drivers were physically ok.

NHWK05 11-10-2012 05:10 PM

Yea, he hit the semi at 40 plus mph they deff should have gone off, the driver behind this wk as well as all us witnesses said he never stopped and it was a hill so if he had stopped he never could have gained enough speed going up hill in that short a distance to do that much damage. The truck driver even saw him in his peripheral vision saying oh shit he isn't stopping. So he hit with good impact. It sounded like when a highway plow drops the blade but at full speed.

viking757 11-10-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 709489)
Probably not enough forward impact and more sideswipe damage to the front. The delta v (change in velocity and force) was probably pretty low. In other words the damage looks very serious but the actual impact was not.

Looking at the mostly straight hood tells me that there was not much rearward intrusion.

Cars are really smart these says. Ive seen suvs hit elk with both front airbags deployed, and the same kind of car roll 2-3 times with only the curtain bags deployed.

Agreed, Look at the bent wheel wells they are both turned at a 90 degree in relation to the semi's travel. Even though he may have been going at 40 mph the impact force was redirected unlike if you hit a wall at 40 thus maybe not hitting the threshold for the airbags to deploy.

NHWK05 11-10-2012 05:22 PM

Ok, I understand now. That does make sense that the damage is a sliding action.

viking757 11-10-2012 05:37 PM

Our wk's are tanks nonetheless

NHWK05 11-10-2012 05:39 PM

Everyone on scene said that theyed be looking in to a jeep grand cherokee for their next car. That jeep saved his life.

viking757 11-10-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 709533)
Everyone on scene said that theyed be looking in to a jeep grand cherokee for their next car. That jeep saved his life.

On the red site recently a guy got into an accident the jeep was messed up but he just had bumps and bruises.

bill_de 11-10-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 709533)

They should be looking at a Kenworth. :)