Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   DRL Burned/discolored sockets (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/drl-burned-discolored-sockets-50137.html)

CIEGOS 11-10-2012 09:25 PM

DRL Burned/discolored sockets

3 Attachment(s)
I recently had a DRL burn out and I proceeded to replace the bulb. What i found was that the connection was burned off. I proceeded to check both sides and found both sockets were discolored. Can others confirm this is happening to theirs?

DurangoZJ 11-10-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIEGOS (Post 709603)
I recently had a DRL burn out and I proceeded to replace the bulb. What i found was that the connection was burned off. I proceeded to check both sides and found both sockets were discolored. Can others confirm this is happening to theirs?

Yes, I noticed the same thing recently as well. Had a DRL burn out. Replaced both with upgraded bulbs. Both showed signs of melting/burning. I believe it is the reason the one DRL went out in the first place; as the filament was not broken.

CIEGOS 11-10-2012 10:08 PM

Re: DRL Burned/discolored sockets

What bulbs did you upgrade to? My concern is replacing with the same bulbs will result in the entire socket going bad. Thoughts?

scittb 11-10-2012 10:43 PM

same thing on mine. 4 bulds in 18 months, jeep says they are fine and wont even warranty the numerous bulbs. One i can understand but every couple of months is ridiculous.

FAUEE 11-10-2012 11:10 PM

Same thing here. Not sure if its heat from the engine bay, rather than the electrical current or not. I'm thinking it is engine bay heat though.

DurangoZJ 11-10-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIEGOS (Post 709616)
What bulbs did you upgrade to? My concern is replacing with the same bulbs will result in the entire socket going bad. Thoughts?

Sylvania ultras? Silverstar? I'm sorry I can't remember. They are the ones with the blue tint to the bulb (white light). I'm sure in the end they won't make a difference as the melting/burning seems to be a bigger issue than the type of bulb. I've noticed that with the WK and Wk2 they seem to go through an extraordinaire amount of bulbs. Brake, DRLs, basically whatever has the 3157 bulb.

DurangoZJ 11-10-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 709634)
Same thing here. Not sure if its heat from the engine bay, rather than the electrical current or not. I'm thinking it is engine bay heat though.

Even though the melting appears to be around the contact points (at least on mine)? I honestly have no idea--just seems too localized to be engine bay heat.

Suther 11-11-2012 09:43 AM

I have the same discoloration. No burnt bulb yet though.

Have you checked your reflector? I found mine blinded, probably from the fumes of the burnt bulb.

Personally I think it's the material composition of the socket causing this. Probably not build for the heat of the bulb. I don't think it's the heat from the engine because all other sockets on the front lights look perfect.

ColdCase 11-11-2012 09:49 AM

Perhaps a dirty/poor connection within the socket? That can cause the contact(s) to heat up quite a bit. I have 30000 miles in near two years without a single bulb issue. I may be just lucky.

Mafiaman 11-13-2012 02:45 PM

Same on both sides for my 2011. I think it is due to bad bulbs. Replaced with no issues.

John47 11-14-2012 05:49 AM

Our 2012 export CRD (March 2012 delivery) has discolouration of both sides DL reflectors above the bulb and the socket is looking brown. No blown bulbs so far.
Haven't checked at the back and it appears from outside looking in as if the material of the socket is the issue.
There is another thread seems to me the same issue....http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/drl-d...tor-49947.html

Jeep_addicted 11-14-2012 08:38 AM

The plastics being used may be the issue or it may be the amps that are flowing through that circuit that is causing the exessive heat.

I noticed on sunday that the 3157 bulb in my right rear outer taillight has discolored the reflector over the bulb you can see the hot spot from the outside of the housing.

I noticed this when I removed the housing from the body.

either these housing are using substandard component or the amperage needs to be stepped down on some of the lighting circuits