Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First 4WD Trip - Flinders Ranges (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-4wd-trip-flinders-ranges-50149.html)

Beerenton 11-11-2012 08:52 AM

First 4WD Trip - Flinders Ranges

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all, just thought I'd give a brief run-down of my first proper 4WD trip in my WK2. My 4WD Club organised a weekend trip to the Argadells property about 30km north of Quorn, in the Southern Flinders Ranges.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...13425,0.182991

We stayed in one of several campgrounds on the property, most are equipped with well-maintained longdrops, and the homestead also has a caravan park-style area, complete with amenities block, which campers are welcome to use for a small additional cost.

Most of us headed up from Adelaide on Friday, which worked out well as it gave us more time to explore on Saturday. We left around 10am and returned around 4pm, and we had covered maybe half of the property. Lots of steep, rocky trails, many with loose shale, that required a bit of concentration and guidance from the leader.

And the Jeep? Well I was extremely happy with how it performed for the entire weekend. Firstly, fuel. Adelaide to Pt Augusta was 310km and I could only get 25 litres in it, meaning 8.1L/100km. After the weekend of slow, low-range work, as I left the property the range was sitting at 710km. As I passed through Pt Wakefield, the range was *still* sitting at 710km.

I was very happy with how it went on the steep trails as well. Low range was a bonus (having come from an X-Trail) and it was used a lot, maybe not always necessary but nice to have the extra control as I get more comfortable with what the Jeep can do.

The Hill Descent Control was impressive too, and being able to adjust the speed using the shift lever was instantly familiar and logical. "First" gear in HDC is an absolute crawler, and I usually bumped it up to "second" at least for the hills we had. I did ground a bit on one particularly rocky track, but so did most others I think. The lift kit may have avoided it completely, or may not...

We all made it to the top of Mt Arden, the highest peak in the Southern Flinders I believe. The descent was pretty gnarly (the sign says 'low range 4WD') but we had a Territory and Kluger make it through without drama.

I noticed a few times when stationary and idling, the (I assume) electric thermo fan kicked in, and it sounded like a jumbo taking off, but didn't stay on for long. Has anyone else found theirs a bit louder than expected?

Have posted a few pics from the weekend below. Can certainly recommend the property as a weekend getaway from Adelaide, and very happy with the Jeep.

Cheers
Brenton

*edit* Intended this for the Export forum, happy for it to be moved if it's more appropriate there.

Beerenton 11-11-2012 08:57 AM

Re: First 4WD Trip - Flinders Ranges

Oh and only one casualty for the weekend - I lost the plastic blank that sits in front of the recovery hook, it must have popped out when I caught the front bumper on a washout or something, so now it looks like I've intentionally removed it so everyone can see the yellow hook...

AAAA 11-11-2012 11:39 AM

Sounds like you had a great time.

nariracruisin' 11-15-2012 03:41 AM

Hi Brenton,
Thanks for the write-up and the pics. The Flinders is an awesome place. We done the Skytrek track a couple of years and promised ourselves that we must go back.. Must have been great in the JGC and pleased to hear she performed as expected.
Can't wait for ours to arrive next Feb/Mar.

Brian

Brett 11-15-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerenton (Post 709712)
Oh and only one casualty for the weekend - I lost the plastic blank that sits in front of the recovery hook, it must have popped out when I caught the front bumper on a washout or something, so now it looks like I've intentionally removed it so everyone can see the yellow hook...

I lost the plastic cover in front of the tow recovery hook after some off-roading also. Yours is at least the fourth I've come across now (I think the way they clip in is not very good). I removed the yellow sticker from the front of the hook so it doesn't stand out so much without the cover...

savvas 11-15-2012 06:45 PM

Nice write up. Great to see the GC's getting out there and mixing it with the other brands.

BTW, I have yet to see a WK2 in Winter Chill in real life. Looks like they'll be rare.

Regarding the thermo fan. I have heard it from inside the car and it didnt sound too noisy. However a couple of weeks ago, I was reversing in to the driveway and my daughter was standing next to the car when the fan kicked in. I did notice that the sound startled her and she said to me that it's making noise shes never heard before. So I got out to listen and yep, it's LOUD. I was standing next to the front tyre in shorts and I could feel the rush of air coming out from underneath and on to my legs. So that fan it has quite a lot of capacity.