Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   LED low beams or HID???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/led-low-beams-or-hid-50155.html)

DBIRD16 11-11-2012 02:49 PM

LED low beams or HID????

I am wanting to change my low beams in my Laredo x with either HID or LED bulbs. I understand the HID can be more of a pain to install, but I am worried that the LED wont be as bright. Has anyone done LED low beams and if so how bright are they? Are you happy with them?

WarMachine 11-11-2012 08:21 PM

Re: LED low beams or HID????

LED, unless constructed as an assembly with reflectors like that of an LED light bar, will not project any reasonably useful light on the road. it will work as a visibility device in a sense that it will illuminate the housing its in very well, thus making your vehicle more visible, but will not contribute much in the area of night time visibility. I have LED bulbs in my fog light housings, and they shine ambient unfocused light about 5 feet in front of the truck. I have an LED light bar installed in the lower center section of my bumper, that, on the other hand will shine light about the distance of a football field or farther. it all depends on the construction and reflection. IMHO, purchasing an HID kit is your best option, and the install is not all that bad. Hope this helps.

DBIRD16 11-11-2012 08:31 PM

I was thinking on LED bulbs in the factory low beam housing. I purchased a set of HIDs and have installed them in about 5 vehicles but I understand there is a problem with only one turning on when you put them in a wk2. If that's the case what do I need to fix this. Lastly, do yo have any pics of the LED light bar you installed??? Thanks for your help!

Madanio24 11-11-2012 08:46 PM

LEDs will not project any useable light at all if used for low beams. Use hids. As long as you have a relay harness you will be fine. I run hid low, fogs, and hella hid conversion on my jeep. Totally worth it.

akimball 11-11-2012 09:23 PM

i bought hid kits for my lows and fogs, so far they are the best mod ive done. i honestly will never own a car without putting hids in them in the future.

hit up xenon depot they are a vendor here with great prices on hid kits.

Madanio24 11-11-2012 09:29 PM

For my hella hid conversion I picked up a 6000k kit off of eBay for 25 bucks. They work very good and for the price you can't beat it. Will let you know how long they last. I didn't really care about quality because this was a fun not used everyday mod.

BF07 11-11-2012 11:27 PM

Go the HID route, but do it properly by retrofitting HID projectors into your housing.