Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   GPS points of interest (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/gps-points-of-interest-50171.html)

COLCRD 11-12-2012 05:33 AM

GPS points of interest

Tried to locate a camping store near Lithgow on the weekend. GPS was suggesting a place in Otago (NZ). mmm intersting results. Also couldnt find my Suburb. Its only been there for 1 + years. WTF Jeep:confused:

Swampy 11-12-2012 07:22 AM

Re: GPS points of interest

That's actually consistent. In Perth, my nearest Bunnings is over 3,500 kms away.

Studgun 11-12-2012 08:34 AM

That's why I saved the money the genuine nav would have cost, and I will buy one that actually works and still have money to fill the boot with beer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allypally 11-12-2012 11:31 AM

The JEEP Nav unit is the worst I have ever seen. I think it was designed by a fuel company, as it wants to divert you 100's of klms out of your way, instead of following a direct route.
COLCRD. What version of Maps is in your unit? Is it better than
HPT1-A1112 4.2.1 ?

GlennR 11-12-2012 09:07 PM

...guys, no real issues here in Brizzy. Even the new city tunnels work fine.

ENFORCER 11-12-2012 09:11 PM

I have had several times where the GPS has not known where Botany road in Alexandria is. The suburb was not even listed. I do however think it is more to do with the order you put the detail in. I find suburb first, then road, then number.
I have also had several occasions where it tried to make me do illegal things or to turn at the wrong roads and then rerouting me to my destination via the long way.
I agree that the GPS has a little to be desired, but it is more likely to be the maps than the unit itself.

allypally 11-12-2012 09:52 PM

After a little extensive research, I believe the issue is not really with the maps, but Chrysler's routing algorithm.
What appears to be occuring, especially outside of cities, it that if a road is unverified, meaning a test car has not driven along the road to verify it is correct, then Chrysler have set the system to ignore it.
Of course, Chrysler are buck passing, saying that the navigation is solely the responsibility of dealers, who in turn point to Navteq. Navteq say they only supply the maps, and the routing is the demise of the vendor, who in this case is Chrysler. Full circle. There have been similar issues raised in the Mygig forum from users in Canada and USA.
The latest Mygig software has done nothing to fix this problem, which is most noticable if you drive in the country and choose a less travelled route, such as a non major hwy.

Swampy 11-13-2012 01:05 AM

If you plot a route using the maps on Navtechs own website, it has no problems with using the roads that are marked as unverified in the Jeep. Therfore your point that Jeep have set the system to ignore unverified roads seems to make sense.

Ross51 11-13-2012 01:26 AM

My observation agrees with Allypally. I think that all that is needed is an option to use Unverified roads in the routing in the Jeep software. How hard could that be?!

Matty470 11-13-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 710353)
After a little extensive research, I believe the issue is not really with the maps, but Chrysler's routing algorithm.

This is the case.
I have a very good mate who supplies a lot of OEM tracking and nav systems. He knows the people at Navteq.
He looked at my maps last weekend and my version (below).
The first part of the code, A1112, means the database is 4th quarter 2011, so relatively recent.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...238E5F17FE.jpg

Basically it is going to be up to CJD Australia or the parent company in the US to re-write the way it calculates and displays its data.

Swampy 11-13-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 710353)
Of course, Chrysler are buck passing, saying that the navigation is solely the responsibility of dealers, who in turn point to Navteq. Navteq say they only supply the maps, and the routing is the demise of the vendor, who in this case is Chrysler. Full circle.

And Chrysler cannot hide and say that the issue is with Navteq. I signed a contract with Chrysler Jeep to buy a car with a navigation system. I did not sign a contract with Navteq. Chrysler is obligated to provide a product that functions as per the intent of their advertising literature that states:

"Enjoy safe travels with the available GPS Navigation, providing voice
guidance and visual display. It can also locate nearby petrol stations, restaurants, shopping, hospitals or points of local interest."

Some of the routing and U turns are borderline not safe. (If anyone gets a dangerous route then grab a photo of it and post it up). POI's in Perth are virtually unusable. I think that it could be argued that they have failed to meet their obligations.

I'll be back on their case tomorrow morning.

vincekim9 11-13-2012 07:24 AM

Wow looks great... I always used my Galaxy S3 Nav, 100 times better than Jeep NAV system. I really want to get a latest map....