Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   car repair scams (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/car-repair-scams-50244.html)

spiros 11-13-2012 12:53 PM

car repair scams

Are car dealers charging for unnecessary car repairs? - Video on TODAY.com

GCOverland 11-13-2012 01:22 PM

re: car repair scams

That doesn't surprise me. However, I'm 100% sure that this isn't a "Jeep-thing".

You can find that practice at virtually any manufacturer. That's how the system works.

A few weeks ago, I took my 2009 Lincoln MKZ in for scheduled maintenance. I bought it about a year ago as a certified pre-owned. The records showed that they repaired a rusted sub-frame during their CPO-inspection.

Well, guess what the service department found during the inspection: A rusted sub-frame and I was quoted $1,600 for a new one. Too bad the service-department was not aware of the fact that I had the records that showed that this issue was supposed to be "repaired" prior to me taken delivery.

In the end, I got a new sub-frame and the dealership and Lincoln agreed on paying for it 50/50. So basically, by quoting me in order to make money, they lost money. I wouldn't have noticed the rusted sub-frame on my own.

What I found most shocking was that the guy from the service-department actually told me that the sub-frame wasn't repaired during the prior CPO-verification - in his own words, he said it was simply "painted". WoW!:lol:

SW03ES 11-13-2012 04:22 PM

Thats a dealership thing, not a Jeep thing

robpp 11-13-2012 04:36 PM

Aired on October 18, 2011

padgett 11-13-2012 07:49 PM

At least they had a service manual to check against. We are not allowed one.

Yadkin 11-13-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 710625)
That doesn't surprise me. However, I'm 100% sure that this isn't a "Jeep-thing".

You can find that practice at virtually any manufacturer. That's how the system works.

A few weeks ago, I took my 2009 Lincoln MKZ in for scheduled maintenance. I bought it about a year ago as a certified pre-owned. The records showed that they repaired a rusted sub-frame during their CPO-inspection.

Well, guess what the service department found during the inspection: A rusted sub-frame and I was quoted $1,600 for a new one. Too bad the service-department was not aware of the fact that I had the records that showed that this issue was supposed to be "repaired" prior to me taken delivery.

In the end, I got a new sub-frame and the dealership and Lincoln agreed on paying for it 50/50. So basically, by quoting me in order to make money, they lost money. I wouldn't have noticed the rusted sub-frame on my own.

What I found most shocking was that the guy from the service-department actually told me that the sub-frame wasn't repaired during the prior CPO-verification - in his own words, he said it was simply "painted". WoW!:lol:

How did it rust? Was it a northern car?

I grew up in the NE and all my cars rusted. It was truly heartbreaking to see your pride and joy turning into rust like that. I got rid of my last rusty car in 1998.

Any used car that I buy I do an experian check to see where it has been registered. If it's north of the Mason-Dixon line I move along...

GCOverland 11-13-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 710807)
How did it rust? Was it a northern car?...

All I know is that it was a lease-return. According to the VIN-records, it was initially registered in Florida as well. But who knows where it was in between?:confused:

I was curious as well because Florida is not an area where you expect a car that is less than 4 years old to rust.

Yadkin 11-13-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 710810)
All I know is that it was a lease-return. According to the VIN-records, it was initially registered in Florida as well. But who knows where it was in between?:confused:

I was curious as well because Florida is not an area where you expect a car that is less than 4 years old to rust.

You can never know for sure, the registration records can only give you an indication.

It could have been parked at the beach which is just as bad. Also lots of Floridians are from up north and may visit during the winter months. The first thing I do when looking at a used car is lay on my back and look under it for rust. Any aluminum part showing signs of white is a big red flag, since it is an anode of steel and will turn to dust before the steel shows signs of damage.

padgett 11-13-2012 09:47 PM

Eaxactly, I grew up on the east coast and have seen rusty new cars on dealer lots. On the east coast there is usually high rust - in the window frames - but low rust takes driving on the beach. One drive in the surf and the average lifespan is about three years. I always shudder at the commecials showing cars sliding in the spray.

Get about five miles inland (part of the reason I live in Orlando) and it stops.

Worst case is a car that sits out near the beach (between the Inland Waterway anand the Ocean e.g.all of Palm Beach) - spray during the day can turn a car white. Night sky radiation and high humidity equals lots of dew forming. Salt and water just what rust needs.

secamp 11-20-2012 02:54 PM

I normally have my Jeep serviced by friend of a friend that is a mechanic at a Jeep dealer. A couple of years ago my Libby needed an inspection asap (it has expired the week before) so I took it to Manhattan Chrysler. They emailed me a list of all the work that it needed. I showed the list to my mechanic and he said that it didn't need any of that work. One thing they quoted didn't even exist on my model. Needless to say I'll never go back there.:madder: