Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Painting the plastic! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/painting-the-plastic-50261.html)

akimball 11-13-2012 08:27 PM

Painting the plastic!

so on my way home i stopped at auto body shop and wanted a quote on painting on all my plastic on my car, front air dam thing, door moldings, rear door handle thing and the side rockers. the guy tells me you cant paint it because its plastic and is textured, it will look awful and will chip.

so is this true? how do i go about having painted items in the above mentioned places?

Chaoul1 11-13-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Painting the plastic!

They can smooth it down and paint over it will a good primer.

akimball 11-13-2012 11:16 PM

so i guess i just need to look at a couple different places. thanks

brentwoodkris 11-14-2012 04:08 PM

That mod is not worth the money you'll spend on getting it done, IMHO. You may as well sell your laredo and get a limited and only have the air dam to deal with.

akimball 11-14-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 711132)
That mod is not worth the money you'll spend on getting it done, IMHO. You may as well sell your laredo and get a limited and only have the air dam to deal with.

not selling it! thanks tho

brentwoodkris 11-14-2012 05:17 PM

The texture on painted plastic (even if it's properly sanded/primed) will never quite match the painted metal surface. I'm just saying that the cash you are wanting to spend on that could be spent on other aesthetic mods, probably a set of SRT Reps.

akimball 11-14-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 711167)
The texture on painted plastic (even if it's properly sanded/primed) will never quite match the painted metal surface. I'm just saying that the cash you are wanting to spend on that could be spent on other aesthetic mods, probably a set of SRT Reps.

which i plan on doing this winter.

machinanyc 11-14-2012 09:09 PM

You can definitely have them painted and they would match just fine. I've had plenty of the textured parts painted, they get sanded down and then primed and painted...hell Scott had all the black on his whole truck murdered out! Any good body shop can do it for you.

akimball 11-14-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinanyc (Post 711250)
You can definitely have them painted and they would match just fine. I've had plenty of the textured parts painted, they get sanded down and then primed and painted...hell Scott had all the black on his whole truck murdered out! Any good body shop can do it for you.

thats what i thought. just have gotten so many mixed reviews mostly pointing towards you cant paint them. but this is good to hear thanks.

mTBrunner83 11-14-2012 10:02 PM

Plastic adhesion promoter to help. Honestly the texture on the plastic will help the primer stick to it as opposed to say a smooth metal surface. But this is why you sand before and after primer. It will take some time but with the right compound and waxing after the clear coat hardens it will definitely match well. It is a lot of work, but it turns out real nice. I have little experience with painting plastic, but I have friends and coworkers who have painted their plastic moldings and it has held up through the years. I finished painting my side moldings just last month.
There is even a how to on how to paint your moldings. Next I am going to paint my rear hatch to match my paint. Or I may do one better and buy the chrome cover and paint that to match along with the red lettering.

Glide 11-14-2012 11:20 PM

Simple answer is yes you can paint your plastic, textured or not. I would go to another body shop. The one you stopped at does not know what they are doing or didn't want your business.