Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   A little advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/a-little-advice-50285.html)

guitartate 11-14-2012 12:02 PM

A little advice

Currently I own a 2011 WK2 w/Hemi. I do really like the thing and find it to be a perfect Colorado vehicle. I even have towed a Jayco camper with it up the mountain hills and no problem. It handles moderate Colorado Jeep roads and such no problem. My thing is I can't get the idea of a 14 Diesel out of my head. I was ready to finally started modding my Hemi with rock rails, RRO rack, etc. But now I am thinking of waiting... I am getting around 19Mpg average with my Jeep... Nothing serious here just thought I'd get some expert jeep opinions.

guitartate 11-14-2012 01:21 PM

Re: A little advice

Nevermind. I saw another post where Diablo is finally almost ready to release the chipset for the 2011 Hemi. That answers my previous question!

Doc_d 11-14-2012 02:31 PM

That's a tough question. My big concern is that I've known a lot of guys who had diesel trucks and switched back to gas because of all the issues they had. I suspect here in the U.S. they sell 250 gas vehicles for every diesel vehicle. Perhaps for that reason they aren't as well sorted.

The other concern I'd have in Colorado is starting in extremely cold temps. I know diesel engines and diesel fuel has gotten better, but if was in the middle of no where and it was -5 degrees F I'd much rather have the gas engine.

FAUEE 11-14-2012 05:43 PM

The difference in fuel economy will be more than offset by the absolute beating you'll take trading the vehicle in. So while you'll spend less on fuel, you'll probably end up coming out of the deal in the negative when you factor in trade in losses.

Diesel prices in the US are all over the place it seems. Here diesel is more expensive than premium. Other places it seems to be about equal to mid grade or regular. Factor in the additional cost of filling the piss tank, it will intriguing to see how the cost effectiveness plays out.

Certainly for those seeking the most overall cost effective GC, the V6 will still be the way to go.

moosehead 11-14-2012 06:13 PM

Guitar, while the promise of the Diesel is tempting, FWIW my vehicle has been flawless in subzero temps and snow, at altitude and speed, and when towing heavy loads (>5k lbs) in all the above.

IMO keep your Hemi and mod away. Whatever incremental difference you might be ahead on fuel costs, you'll blow through and then some on the trade-in and purchase premium. Again, JMO, flame away.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/bfl-bi...tml#post635348

guitartate 11-14-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc_d (Post 711090)
That's a tough question. My big concern is that I've known a lot of guys who had diesel trucks and switched back to gas because of all the issues they had. I suspect here in the U.S. they sell 250 gas vehicles for every diesel vehicle. Perhaps for that reason they aren't as well sorted.

The other concern I'd have in Colorado is starting in extremely cold temps. I know diesel engines and diesel fuel has gotten better, but if was in the middle of no where and it was -5 degrees F I'd much rather have the gas engine.

Thanks Doc. I suspect you are right with all the emissions and stuff. Good call on the temp as it does get cold in them hills!

guitartate 11-14-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 711192)
The difference in fuel economy will be more than offset by the absolute beating you'll take trading the vehicle in. So while you'll spend less on fuel, you'll probably end up coming out of the deal in the negative when you factor in trade in losses.

Diesel prices in the US are all over the place it seems. Here diesel is more expensive than premium. Other places it seems to be about equal to mid grade or regular. Factor in the additional cost of filling the piss tank, it will intriguing to see how the cost effectiveness plays out.

Certainly for those seeking the most overall cost effective GC, the V6 will still be the way to go.

Thanks FAUEE. I suspect you are right and that was one of my thoughts; on the trade in it would take me years to make up that difference. I will kick back and see how it goes for the first year diesel owners.

guitartate 11-14-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 711207)
Guitar, while the promise of the Diesel is tempting, FWIW my vehicle has been flawless in subzero temps and snow, at altitude and speed, and when towing heavy loads (>5k lbs) in all the above.

IMO keep your Hemi and mod away. Whatever incremental difference you might be ahead on fuel costs, you'll blow through and then some on the trade-in and purchase premium. Again, JMO, flame away.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/bfl-bi...tml#post635348

Thanks for the reply moose. I live in Arvada but frequent the mountains often. My Jeep seems like it was made to handle in the mountains. I have went on mild jeep roads, deep snow(what we had last year) and towed a Jayco featherlite with it. I suspect as you state it would take quite some time to offset the diesel premium and the trade in loss. I wish I wouldn't get so excited about the latest and greatest! BTW for our state I am going to probably replace the stock michs with some GY silent armor. The discount tire dude said they'd be rock solid in the mountains especially during winter. Also Jeep Go in Golden threw on a RRO kit on a new jeep! I couldn't believe it. They said after it was all said and done they'd reco the bwoody links for additional handling.