Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   New to here and to Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/new-to-here-and-to-jeep-50289.html)

Floyd R Turbo 11-14-2012 01:58 PM

New to here and to Jeep

After a month long search to replace my totalled 05 Altima that I bought 4 months ago, I found a friend of a friend who was selling their Jeep. It was a good enough deal to not pass up.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...eep/Jeep01.jpg

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition
4.0 I-6 Quadra Drive
Leather (cushy too)
Dual power heated seats
Power moonroof
Tinted windows
Premium sound w/ 6 disc changer
Navigation / DVD system

Owner (the wife) bought it at 25k in mint condition and kept it that way. Not a scratch on it, and besides some dog claw imprints on the front passenger seat and a minor marr of the Jeep logo on the steering wheel, the inside is mint as well.

101,300 miles and transmission and rear transfer case fluid changed every 30-35k miles. Never taken off road. No accidents. Waxed regularly, zero rust. Inside kept cleaned and armor-alled. Basically, she babied it.

Front end just aligned and tires rotated. Tires are kind of a winter tire, not the quietest (bought by her father I guess) and probably 10-15k left on them.

He is a gear head (so is she) and now tunes Subarus and has done much of the maintenance on this Jeep and said it was pretty easy, overall.

Got here via googling how to replace front bearing hub. Not sure that it is the problem, previous owner claims it's the tires. Found good thread which exactly matches what my co worker said to do. Having a trusted mechanic check it over tomorrow.

Only other things I've noticed:

Brake pedal seems normal during city driving, but a few minutes on the highway and I have to push much further to get braking. Master cylinder? Air in the line?

Steering (power) seems to hum when turning when stopped. Not bad but it's not winter yet.

All in all, I would say that I did pretty good, and I hope to confirm that tomorrow. I bought the Route 66 48 month / 48k mile warranty from the credit union also, and plan to do anything not covered by myself, if possible. Looks like this site might help me out quite a bit! Good thing too, because I haven't done much maintenance in a while, did some brakes and a clutch on my first car in high school...

I look forward to my Jeep experience!

I have spent a few minutes here and there and can see that there are plenty of mods that I would love to do, aesthetically. Headlamps and taillights seem to be the most interesting ones for a start. We'll see how it goes...

harkinsc 11-14-2012 03:46 PM

Re: New to here and to Jeep

Welcome to The Garage! Congrats, looks like a clean Jeep. Make sure you change the fluids in those Vari-Lok Axles with the Quadra Drive.

For your mushy brake pedal, I would start with bleeding the brake lines since that is very inexpensive and quick to do. If you're looking for more responsiveness from your brakes you could look into upgrading to braided stainless steel lines.

Floyd R Turbo 11-14-2012 04:25 PM

I took it into a trusted mechanic and he verified what the previous owner told me, the tires are the source of the noise. Only about 1 winter left on them anyways, so I'll live with it until then. They even rotated the tires and then took it out with a couple guys in front & back and it was noise all around, same as before, and inspection of the hubs showed no signs of wear.

As far as the brakes go, he found that whoever did the front brakes last neglected to grease the caliper, so the sliders were rusted up and stuck, causing the inner brake pads to be 90% worn and outer pads only 50% on both FL and FR, and he also said that the brakes would have basically been on all the time which may be contributing to the mushy feel after running on the highway because they would heat up badly. He (and my Dad) also said prob air in lines. Anyways they have to take the caliper apart and torch it to release the part, clean & grease, replace pads, good to go. $250 all inclusive for giving the entire car a full once-over and parts and labor for the repair. Unfortunately not covered by the warranty because nothing broke/seized/etc. But time is money and I don't have much spare time right now, so this one will go to the shop instead of the "personal experience" binder.

I'll be interested to see how fixing the brakes affects mileage. I only had a couple dozen miles on it to compare against, just enough to get the computer to average out a mostly-highway rate, which was about 14 MPG. It said 14.4 when I bought it, but no idea when it was last reset.

He said everything else looked tight and in great shape. Rear calipers were in good working order and brake pads will have to be done in the spring/summer.

Always good to have a mechanic that 1) knows what he's doing 2) doesn't try to rip you off.

...and always good to inherit a well-maintained vehicle.

harkinsc, thanks for the tip. I told myself that I would start changing the transmission and transfer case fluid every 20-25K miles from now on. The same mechanic told me that every 30K was what you needed to do, but more often can't hurt.

Floyd R Turbo 11-16-2012 10:14 PM

So far I love my Jeep. My favorite thing this week? Speed bumps.

Interprise 11-16-2012 10:26 PM

Welcome

Gus9890 11-16-2012 10:27 PM

Welcome to the JG!!

mrjaydeeone 11-20-2012 12:45 AM

Welcome to JeepGarage|

TJXJWJ 11-20-2012 10:04 AM

Welcome to the Garage!

Chris_IAH 11-20-2012 10:05 AM

Congrats and Welcome to Jeep Garage !!

TheStreet16 11-20-2012 12:43 PM

Welcome to the Garage! Let the mods begin!